Friday, May 10, 2013

Painting inspiration

The new owner of this painting below made a request of the gallery; a small artist statement as to what my inspiration was...for this daily painter a silly but tough question. 

After thinking about it, I still didn't have a clear answer, other than I needed a painting to fill a certain wall space at my Crossroads gallery. It had to be size appropriate, in this case at least a 60x48 with a 5" frame.....I also have a big round red ottoman in front, so I needed a colour connection - red, and finally a subject. 

Oddly, many of the same basic reasons why it might be sought out and purchased....it fills a visual need.

But, is there something else I'm not seeing others do, after the fact, that leads them to ask the question "What was your inspiration?"

#783 Koi & Lotus 60x48 oil on linen (2-16-13)
 
Here's the painting that came from my need to fill an important wall space. As you can see I chose Koi because I know it's a subject I can take large. The Koi are colourful, graceful creatures and most important reflect light....my passion and reason to paint them in the first place.

Once I start a painting it takes on a life of it's own - basic decisions are made, things are added and colour shifts cause a movement to happen - basically I'm following light, colour and form to a conclusion; using all my technical and visual skills as a painter to tell a story.....convincing enough to make a viewer linger - perhaps be memorized and become part of a shared experience. In this case it was strong enough to be claimed.

My inspiration is to always make these things happen.

later...


No comments:

Post a Comment