Friday, November 17, 2017

Finding a Wall

A PERFECT FIT!


My last Koi & Lilies quickly found a warm, cozy home to hang around in. Nice if they all did... I always enjoy getting photos that show how the paintings are doing! This one is doing just fine:=)

ON A MORE SERIOUS SIDE

These photos remind me of a very common declaration artists often make. "I don't paint over the sofa paintings"! Then comes the "inspirational from the soul part". My first thought! I wonder where they do want them to hang......enshrined in a museum? Where does that come from? My guess, it's an old elitist, we don't breath the same air thing. My guess, that's still around too!

Perhaps they really mean, they don't want any commercial influence contaminating the creative process. Now that I understand....... kinda like doing commissions. Yikes!  

The odds are against a painting at the outset. We can make art all day long but in the end, it has to match up to an unknown outsider to find a home or a wall. The size, colour, subject, price and long list or other things on someones wish list have to quintessentially match up. Compromise is probably not on the table.

Besides our own heart, our art has to make someone elses heart thump! I personally call it the "jump factor". We see it happen when someone encounters something special or it happens to us and the prize proudly leaves tightly under an arm...

When I make art, I have a more practical view, actually a logical one, paintings are typically meant to hang on a wall and more often than not, as part of the decoration. Given that reality I want the best walls possible for my work. I don't think giving it consideration  contaminates the creative process in any way shape or form.

I also think how we get there is irrelevant and has no hard and fast rules......only the rules or constraints we personally place on ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment