Thursday, January 26, 2017

In the groove...:=)

Extended time off can be refreshing and welcome. However, at least for me, rust sets in...so getting back in the old groove takes a bit to brush it off.  

Coaching Swimming-in-Paint is now part of my painting plan going forward and something I look forward to each weekend. How it affects my own solo painting is a work-in-progress. 

The first thing I did this year was organize the class painting mission to run parallel with mine. I have a basket of subjects I rotate and occasionally explore a new one. I like to binge paint an idea to a conclusion. It turned out to be an efficient and organized work process.....something I would like to pass on to the team and others.

  • The team has (5) full day sessions each month to explore a single subject and complete a final (2) day painting. 

Personally I don't work on multiple ideas or paintings at a time. Each is completed to the best of my ability regardless of time. Good or bad, each is signed, numbered, recorded......when the energy is spent I move on to a fresh idea. As a daily painter working from a home studio, there are no work rules. It's a self motivated routine. Keeping it fresh and engaging is a constant.

  • It's my hope each member continues exploring their chosen subject between sessions at home.......basically some good old fashion homework. The important thing here is to stay engaged and not lose focus until the project is completed. 

My painting style is quick, typically in 10 or 15 minute spurts... step back, listen to the music, look for my next move and immediately get up and do it. That would describe a typical work day for me. Sound familiar...... may match your own routine. My best time is the first hours in the morning. The important parts of any painting is always first on my list each day. The first sloppy or lazy mistake.....the session ends!

On the weekends during Swimming-in-Paint, I operate exactly the same. When I paint, I break every few minutes to visit each member..... help them work through a problem or simply give encouragement. At the same time, glancing at mine looking forward to the next few minutes I get to work on it. LOL..sometimes I don't get back to the easel as I should.


FIRST DAY -UNFINISHED
1113 Unfinished 12x12 oil on linen (1-14-17)

By our 2nd session I decided to join the team and select my own subject to work on.......a painting plan for coach:=)

I'm working on one of my favorites, Venice, with an emphasis on atmosphere. Like the rest of the team I have all week to decide what my final painting will look like.

SECOND DAY - A PLAN
 1114 Venice 12x12 oil on linen (1-15-17)

 THIRD DAY
 1115 Unfinished 20x16 oil on linen (1-21-16)

FOURTH DAY - IN THE GROOVE....LOVE IT!!
 1116 Magistry 12x12 oil on linen (1-22-17)

I can't wait, because this coming Saturday and Sunday, I and the team get our first opportunity to show our stuff doing our final project of the month. In the meantime, I'll do some homework by doing a few more 12x12's as a warm up for Saturday:=)

No comments:

Post a Comment