Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Curves and counter curves

When I start a new canvas, there is a concept of probable mood in place, not always represented in my main reference. In this case on target. 

Maymont 3/26/11 (ref. 1323)







 
I always saw this as a very large canvas but never got around to it. Winter Koi (below) could be a sampler to the main course.
 
WINTER KOI 44x50 oil on linen (3-14-20)

 Compositional Movement

The challenge with this painting was adding Koi to a good background composition and keeping it on the pastel side in the process. When developing a composition, I use counter curves transcending a background, my norm. I also use colour, light and shadow as a tool to reinforce flow or rhythm lines leading the eye throughout a painting too. I like formal and asymmetrical arrangements.... often mixed.    

Background movements, yellow line (2), join various tree reflections into a pleasing composition reasonably true to my reference, a formal "V". Not much to do other than follow my reference and add Koi, red and yellow dotted line (1).  There is one separate counter movement, red line (3). A pair of Koi joins up and crosses background movement (1). A deliberate placement to reverse and break yellow line to upper right reflection.


Notice, no straight lines, but graceful curves leading the viewer throughout the painting. I also like to take movement curves in and out of a canvas.



The Background forms a strong red "V"and  Koi a strong upside-down yellow "V". It keeps you in the box (perimeters of the canvas). I prefer curves. And, when it feels right extending those outside my canvas leading the eye out and back in when developing a composition.

Enjoy your day, swimming-in-paint!


SIPSwimming-in-Paint


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for clearly teaching me about curves. I found your site after googling counter-curves. I went through a couple websites that only had me more confused. Your explanation was to the point and very easy to understand. From this art history student who is totally out her element, I gratefully thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding of this particular post !! I'll talk about this more in future videos. Enjoy your day, swimming-in-paint!

    ReplyDelete