Saturday, April 29, 2017

A shift to colour and BIG

 Vermilion 12x12 oil on linen (4-6-17 canvas 1143)

"BIG" makes me happy. This sweet little Vermilion KOI above led me back to one of my favorite subjects, Koi. Koi is a subject I like to paint large. Moving from a 12x12 format to a 66x60 or larger canvas is something that takes care after an absence....better to do it with something familiar.

BASIC REFERENCE 
The lilies here have a very defined perspective point I'll use in my painting. This painting is big and viewing it closeup you'll look down and straight ahead - if right, the illusion will become more apparent. The bigger the canvas the better it works. It means any Koi will have to be adjusted to fit the illusion.


A nice basic water lily arrangement from my deck pond, plenty of open room for my own moves.

1145 CANVAS 66x60
 
1145-1
1145-2

 KOI ADJUSTED TO FIT THE PERSPECTIVE

Note: Bottom (2) Koi are painted as top or overhead views (looking down) and the top Koi is shifted slightly to a side shot (looking up)

1145-3
1145-4
1145-5

1145-6

COMPLETED CANVAS
 Untitled 66x60 oil on full gallery wrap linen (4/21/17 canvas 1145)

DETAILS


All it needs is a little varnish, a floater frame and a nice wall to hang around on. Plus, I suspect this is a warmup to the next....so I need another big canvas before I forget how! Also needs a title...... "Prelude" is the only thing that comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment