Friday, November 10, 2017

I should be painting + LED lighting

The sun is out, probably cold outside too.... but still, the sun is shining brightly into my studio. Perfect for painting with or without additional lighting. 

Which brings me to artificial light. I found some really "bright" LED bulbs on Amazon prime the other day. So, I purchased a box of (4), just under $60 by Luxrite. The specs are 16.5 watts, par 38, 100w replacement, 1160 lumen, color 5000K, bright white. I chose them thinking they were 6000K on the colour spectrum. I was curious about what kind of light I would get. My mistake, but I'm not disappointed, because these 5000K lamps work well beyond my expectation. 

Local suppliers call "Bright White" at around 3000K and is mostly available for the residential market. There are more floods than spots on the shelves...... so most of the 5000K are floods and sometimes dimmable. Best place to buy LED is online!


 

The key for good painting light is the "lumen" and "colour" ratings. The higher the better and I personally prefer spots to floods, because it keeps the light directed to surface. On a sunny day, with these LED lamps cranked up, colours are crisp and its like being outside in bright daylight.......not bad on a cloudy day either. 



These are suppose to be dimmable, but I don't see it written on the box, now that would disappoint me! Sunglasses......perhaps required on a fresh white canvas. 


Lamps a & d are older LED lamps, less "lumen" than the new Luxrite "b" lamps. 

The center fixture "c" is a very cool, specialized art light available through Jerry's.. a bit expensive at $120. However, worth every penny because its full range and controllable. Still life painters might really appreciate this the most. To my surprise up to 1700 "lumen" - I did notice it was much brighter on my canvas with the rest on.

ML-Direct Screw-In Picture Light The ML-Direct is a screw-in picture and accent light that screws in to an existing lighting fixture. The included remote control allows for the control of color temperature and beam size. 

Key Features:
  • Adjustable Lens: Beam diameter of 20" to 60“ at 6’ from artwork
  • ML200 Light Output: Up to 560 lumens (Battery) – 870 lumens (AC Adapter)
  • ML-Direct Light Output: Up to 1700 lumens
  • Lamp Life: 50,000
  • Adjustable Color Temperature: 2700K to 7000k – on remote
  • Dimmable
  • Timer: 3 hr. automatic shut off w/ 3 or 6 hr. extension – on remote
  • Remote-controlled
Perfect For:
  • The Must Have For All Art Lovers,/li>
  • Home accent lighting solutions
  • Gallery lighting
  • Allowing artwork to be appreciated in their best light
  • Bring out the true color of your art

1 comment: