Saturday, November 25, 2017

I wonder why we make art?

I don't want to paint so I'm going to babble on about art for awhile... a few photos maybe!

Do we wake up one morning with a compelling urge to be creative and make art....perhaps. Stranger things happen.  I'd rather think it starts young with an interest over anything else how we spend our free time. I say free time because most of our time is controlled during our basic educational years. 

Making art, making things, I suppose is like being a mechanic, writer, cook or a doctor... it starts much the same way, exposure and a little outside influence at the right times. Absolutely a normal behavior and if allowed to follow its course with opportunity, perhaps develop into a career....

As kids we built things like dirt forts. Some scrap wood and old wagon wheels could be a makeshift downhill racer. Mixing up wall paint could lead to unfortunate hot pink clubhouse walls..... We got into everything as kids to entertain ourselves. We ran in packs, played war games or baseball and we ignored the girls....until we didn't. Girls liked school.... boys typically did not unless it was about making things, sports, cars or girls.

This is the time when special interests take hold and likely shape our future....at least it did for me and others I know.   

Obviously mine were anything related to architecture/design and art. Why? Largely because my grandmother suggested "architect" when I didn't understand the question "what do you want to do when you grow up! Not in school yet! "Architect" had no meaning! I'm sure she (Gee) gave me  my first understanding. Growing up nothing was out of bounds as long as it was in that section of the library. No other section had my attention, period!  Could say it was a narrow minded focus because I would rebel against anything that interfered with that single, simple word "Architect". Laughing... often still to my demise.

All this special interest was self inflicted with that simple straight forward question to a little preschooler. It took hold with little outside influence much later. No internet then, actually no TV. TV was a rather new invention and was still off a bit. So, it's safe to say I was wired at birth to make things. Besides believing everyone is. I know this because my mom started me in my highchair. What I remember clearly to this day was being shown how to make cardboard furniture. The cardboard was salvaged from used cupcake packages. I passed this on with my first son. He joined me making art in the studio.....I contained him in his highchair with paper and water colours to keep an eye on him and away from his favorite walls. Later he did much the same as me.....only his was dungeons and dragons. He spent hours drawing his favorite thing. He was very good at it too. Sadly for him life interfered.

Little did I know, all that time devouring art/architecture history picture books while watching black & white TV...as a fresh teen (not doing my homework) would develop an eye for detail and good design.....even good art. Something that really started early in grade school. I was reminded recently how early this thing actually took root and how lucky I really was it did!

Books and magazines published then were about the best of the best...... so you could say, except for my surroundings I wasn't exposed to the norm......it was ignored in favor of what I saw (not the words)  in my special interests books..... That was my norm. How cool was that!
  
My guess, this is not an unusual story, but typical. How successful we are revolves around self-discipline and opportunity at the right times. 

Sadly for many, life gets in the way and it dies early. I often see talent holding on waiting patiently for the day they regain some control of their time. The highchair and school often raises hopes for our special interest. The opportunity of free-time to pursue self-interests is compelling to a young mother. More often than not we have grey hair and are happy to start a new game or career opportunity:=) In some cases , actually a time when many also need a reason to get up in the morning. Making art is a good reason. But it does take a self-disciplined creative mind to pull it off.

The fun of Swimming-in-Paint or SIP is seeing what happens when they rediscover their lost special interest again.

Here's the problem I see over and over again, a willingness, yes, little confidence coupled with an under developed eye. The possibilities we embrace as youngsters is no longer an open book. Unless time is made, creative energy gets devoured by life itself so it's hard to shake it out. Because they understand why, the "creative part", the challenge increases and is more difficult..... if you possess a good eye, know what you expect or want and more importantly know what you have to do to get there. It seems as an adult it would be a piece of cake to get there. As an  adult with a good eye I can tell you its not! We have to force our brain to accept what our eyes see and make our body do it! If we see dark, don't paint it light, believe what you imagine or see and do it!

Ever try to improve your hand writing? Try it! Your eye tells you, compared to others you admire, its crap!  Is it tight and tiny or does it flow with clean flowing lines? Perhaps it takes more space between two lines than allowed....a little stylize, flash and dash perhaps? Whatever way it is will be how you'll paint! Unless, you have the ability to change it. The creative part! Our first serious art lesson is learning how to write.  How well we do that follows us unless we can learn to control it!

As a coach I need to know if it ever existed in the first place or if making art is the fashionable thing to do as we get older? After all, making art is a very effective pastime/therapy tool. Why someone wants to make art has to be ferreted out. It's very obvious in a young person, they make the time, one way or the other. They easily rebel against control!

Time is limited with young families so "Night Painters" abound. Seniors are a bit different, especially if it was a childhood thing and little in between. Its easy to love and acquire art. Making art is another matter.
 
A question I no longer wonder about. Will I or do we loose our special talent/creative energy as we age.....when does it end? If we had it in the first place It ends with our last breath!

All these words need at least one picture!!



No comments:

Post a Comment