Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Tommorw is National "TURKEY" day

And, I never painted one, but Monet did. It's such an iconic American image you would think it's a popular subject besides dinner! I remembered this painting from a film on the Impressionists. So in  honor of the day I went looking for it........it's not exactly a popular painting. I did find it and then wanted to know a bit more because I never understood exactly why he painted it! 

This little gem is not small! It's a very commanding size at  67 3/4 x 68 7/8. Not surprising it is an almost square... Titled "TURKEYS". Well, not a clever inspired title. We seem to like clever titles today, often unrelated. Perhaps to spark comments...... if you look, I'm sure there are volumes out there explaining it. 

I actually think "TURKEYS" is an appropriate title. Artists often refer to an unhappy painting as a "turkey".......guilty! Perhaps where it originated.

Claude Monet's Turkeys (67-3/4x68-7/8 inches) oil on canvas
Musee d'Orsay in Paris.

I FOUND THIS STRAIGHT UP! It answered my first impression of the painting... WHY! It was a commission and he needed money to feed his family!

Claude Monet painted Turkeys in 1876. Monet painted a flock of turkeys on the lawn of his patron Hoschede's estate in Montgeron. Planned as a decorative panel, Turkeys marked the rare introduction of animals into Monet's natural setting.

When the work was shown in the third Impressionist exhibition, the critical response was mixed. One critic urged the viewer to think of how well it would look in a lavishly furnished dining room, while others disparaged Monet's choice of subject as ridiculous.


WOW! Paintings in the day were for the best rooms and subject was important if you wanted to eat as an artist..... and size was obviously important! An artists work had to be shown and exhibited if they wanted patrons. Seems like I recall Monet referred to as a "decorative painter" in my youth. According to a google search, a top 3 Art Faux Pas, never refer to an artist as a "decorative painter". Sounds like double talk to me! Nothing has changed other than the verbal dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment