Thursday, May 9, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Looks like I'm on a bit of a Swan roll, but I really wanted to paint this birds wings - the translucent light effects on his wings are stunning.

FIRST PAINTING
#814 Prussian Swan 48x44 oil on linen (4-29-13)

DETAIL

 

SECOND PAINTING

Every once in awhile one these little buggers gets stubborn! We either cave in or take control and make it work!!

My problem started with a long vertical composition with a clear plan, which I thought was under control, until my choice of Koi got in the way on the second day. I went to the Koi pond and took some new Koi photos with intresting light effects on the waters surface that I wanted to paint. In hindsight, at that moment it became a learning exercise and not what I would call a finished gallery painting.  

DAY 3

#815 Koi 72x48 oil on linen (5-3-13)

Notice, I signed off, but after studying it I had concerns about the top portion merging properly with the lower section.

Originally the painting had lily pads to control the paintings flow and establish my perspective; but on the 3rd day I took em out.....basically threw the baby out with the bathwater and inadvertently it became more about the Koi than one cohesive composition...it was so bad on the 4th day it could actually be cut into (3) separate 24x48 paintings. Now it became a serious design challenge....now what?  Declutter of course!

DAY 4 - decluttered

#815 Koi 72x48 oil on linen (5-4-13)

With a fresh look on the 5th day I still had issues with the top yellow Koi. My only solution was to try reconnecting vignettes or cut it up....well, I do like a challenge:=)

DAY 5 - frame test 

 #815 Koi 72x48 oil on linen (5-5-13)

I ended up putting much of the original concept back in from day 3- when this merry-go-round started, but expanded it more and made a very simple detail change to the yellow Koi - I made it deeper in the water and changed the tail swing to the left, remedying my chief concerns.....somehow the yin and yang was in place.

A SIMPLE DETAIL CHANGE


 

SOLD this week!

 #689 Golden Vermillion Koi 8x10 oil on linen (7-12-12)

Congratulations Rich Timmons Fine Art Gallery!
 
#667 Chincoteague Sunrise 24x20 oil on linen (6-6-12)

 #537 Koi & Lily 30x30 oil on linen (6-7-11)

Congratulations Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - sold two! 

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment