Saturday, May 18, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

This week was a downer. We unexpectedly lost Cooper one our family members of 8 years. Cooper was my sidekick for the last 6 or 7 years. Especially the last four years. He was always within reach while I painted - I'm sure patiently waiting to play ball or sit in my lap if I a took a break....he was just always there and will be missed.

Cooper  
10-31-04 to 5-7-13 

INTERESTING PAINTING

This is a London view I like painting. The possibilities are endless when it comes to painting atmosphere. It almost looks as though Parliament is on fire as it was once in Turners time.
 

816 HOP 44x40 3rd day

I had real transparency in my water and at this point should only have worked the building line and left my water alone. Perhaps some minor adjustments but certainly nothing I couldn't remove.

861 HOP 44x40 - 4th day

Kinda messed up my water trying to reduce the amount of blue in my reflection....live and learn
816 HOP 44x40 - 5th day

I added a lot of subtle enhancements....and got back on the merry-go-round with my water....needed that blue back in...LOL
 
816 HOP 44x40 oil on line (5-14-13) 
7th day frame test

The 7th is the last day I will work on any painting - no one wants an 8-day painting from me....except the trash man.  I got the water to work, I even got the visual water depth I needed but not at the level I could have on the 3rd day. None the less I like my results.

SOLD THIS WEEK

 589 Koi & Lilies 40x44 oil on linen (9-5-11)

This particular painting marked a benchmark - I was still in the learning curve on how to paint "Big" and of course make it work in representational format; but more importantly, keeping the confident nature in my paint application without becoming fussy and over worked... one of the challenges of working large formats. I managed the seamless look in this painting I was after. I could get in smaller work but more elusive on large scale and it all has to do with edges and completing each movement in on session and perhaps subtle enhancement on the last session of the painting. In this painting I broke the "code" I understood the "why and the how" of it.

With regret - "Congratulation Rich Timmons!"

As shown in the Rich Timmons Gallery

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment