Sunday, November 15, 2015

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - canvas 998

Last week I plowed into gold leaf and oil with a rework on canvas 931 and a new a concept piece 997 also using gold leaf. Canvas 998 is a 30x30 linen (not gallery wrap) meant for a frame. Like the last two, I'll employ the use of metal leaf in my design.

CANVAS 998
998-1a
998-1b
998-1c
998-1d

I covered my canvas completely with wet-in-wet paint using both a brush and knife. The paint application was thick, full bodied using medium for easy flow. Then as my last step, I carefully add gold on top with a clean brush and a little clear medium (only enough to capture the gold and hold it for placement). Using the same brush I worked the gold into the wet oil where necessary, enough to block out the design element. At any point I can add more or bury any part in paint as needed. Keeping the brush clean before adding more, helps. Heavy paint will bury it, where thin washes will  enhance the metal by allowing the gold to show through.

COMPLETED CANVAS
 998 Gold Oak Leaves 30x30 oil on linen (11-10-15)
998 frame test

DETAILS

The details show clearly how abstract the spontaneous brushwork really is; just enough to to get the concept across. My main painting objective was about shadow and light reflections on a waters surface.... while at the same time introducing metal leaf into my oil medium as a separate design element.

This is kind of a busy week outside my studio. My gallery space at Crossroads is due for a major change out for the November 20th art walk opening. It happens every 2 months and something I've done for the last 4 or 5 years.......lots of art enthusiasts always show up too. 


Gallery entrance with all new originals, including 995 Jitters as the lead in and 998 the new Koi above has found it's first wall


Two more new works made the cut too - however the big 931 Modified Koi is about to be bumped opening night in favor of an enhanced Giclee. The original was the last lead painting from the September Art Walk.  The gallery is now shared with THE PRIVATE COLLECTION GICLEE  something I started earlier this year as an alternative to my original paintings. The Private Collection is very much a work-in-process.

No comments:

Post a Comment