Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Transitions

The Gardenia was often used as a decoration during the first part of the 19th century. I rather like the formality and elegant style of that era which really crumbled to the mid-century Modern era soon after world war 11.

This new canvas, like "Theater" will start off with a basic grey-scale Isadora Duncan reference - can't wait to see where it goes......



CANVAS 1240 (54x46)

The huge sun surprised me when I actually used it! And then to make it a major sized element as it is...just WOW....now what! However, when I added the tiny white gardenia flower, it was oddly in check. Amazing how something so small can redirect the eye. It also became clear this was going to be a story about innocence, maturity and perhaps motherly advice.

RED GUIDELINES

When it came to developing an expanding composition, I particularly liked the challenge a simple gray scale reference posed. My red guidelines work well. I prefer strong design moves that pull the eye off the canvas.  It suggests only a snippet is exposed. 


The sheer fabric on the right quickly evolved into a major design element in my composition. It did leave me with a problem tho....... a space beyond. I'm not sure the stairs were needed,....they just happened at the last minute. I needed a connection other than having them floating/suspended off into the solar system. 

The final composition was split vertically between youthful simplicity and mature elegance. It seemed appropriate to the "Transitions" story

"Transitions" 54x46 oil on linen (4-20-18 canvas 1240)



The mug shots in my previous post were to improve my flesh and paint quality. Something I see closeup needs more work if I continue down this particular path..... never ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment