Saturday, March 21, 2020

My First Decade


One of the things I often like to do early in the morning is unwind writing on my blog. Most of it never sees the light of day. Last year I deleted most of it as a result very few 2019 posts. Looking back, it was more about reevaluation. Notes I was reformulating into a new plan forward.... some of it already implemented. 

First 10 years

This month marks a full 10-years in my not-so-new career as a full-time artist. A decade dedicated to making art, more specifically, larger art for what I call "best walls". Focal points of any best room or installation with public rooms. Art designed to capture your attention and size appropriate. Which could be any size. The unknown sticky part for an artist…. 



My painting plan, paint large!

My plan was always to paint on the larger size, a need I saw as a former interior designer. Our marketplace is swimming in smaller works. I saw that as an opening in a very crowded field. Ten years ago, I started out small and methodically worked my way up developing a basket of subjects I liked to paint. Primarily a representational artist it took me a few years to get a handle on it though. I found not all subjects sized up well without serious modification. Like adding mood, romance, atmosphere or drama! 

MAYMONT REFLECTIONS 44x50 oil on linen (date 1/29/10 canvas 1322)
When working large, inventory storage and shipping are more challenging. Also more costly, because it requires more of everything unless you work on a commission basis. Which I try to avoid. I believe the practice inhibits creativity.

No doubt small works, standard size materials, space and budget are easier to handle when we start out. I have my share. However, as former buyer of art I knew what my clients wanted and expected. If they wanted art, it was keyed to a theme or environment. If they were collectors, the environment was keyed to the art. In all cases it was displayed as focal points or not used unless it enhanced the interior or exterior of the project. Generally, I think universally true in the residential and commercial design field with a professional or not. The public is far more sophisticated today and want a cohesive living environment within their budget as a standard. As artist’s, we are part of the equation to help make it happen. Seems logical to get on board and make art to fill their needs. 

It did not take long to discover once my larger works hit the walls, small works sales fell behind rapidly. And, my small works became larger with each passing year. This year my 24x24 small is 32x32 or 36x40. My basic large canvas is 44x50, and a large billboard size at 66x78 for special occasions (below).

WITHOUT HUMANS 66x78 oil & silver-leaf on linen (date 1/1/18 canvas 1190)
HOLLY HILL, Richmond 2019 Designer home - Designer Kathy Corbet Interiors

My sizes were based somewhat on sales and maximizing an 84” roll of linen canvas. I used to stretch my own. Now I use JFM Enterprises to fabricate my canvas, print my paper and canvas reproductions for Chuck Larivey Editions. Reproductions are an important and valuable way to share our art with a broader audience. JFM also supplies my frames, premade or custom. I like using one source, keeps it simple and perhaps better service.

Clearing the decks & starting over!


Clearing the decks is a good thing in any career. And, as I expected after 10-years it was a good decision for me. Making art day-in and day-out gets old after a while unless you blow it up now and then.


Inventory & Storage

Well, history is fun to relive but, today is today. I have this thing that has been created over the last ten (10) years, inventory! I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. I've been a busy little boy, lots of paintings under my belt and I suppose a few sales here and there caused me to paint even more than I ever needed. You know the old saying "buy an artist’s painting and they are sure to paint even more". I got paintings coming out my butt! I don't have enough time left sell or find forever-walls for all them.... nor the inclination to do so. So, I took the easy way out! No, not have a pyromaniac moment happily dancing around a bond fire.... tempting!  I got smart, leased some climate-controlled storage, and packed the little suckers in tight! Pulled down that old metal door, locked it and not looking back.... I have to say, it was an exhilarating moment!




I like to paint; I don't like the results closing in around me as they did. My storage solution solved that problem well enough. If I continue to paint, there's still room for more. Which means it doesn't matter if they fine forever-walls or not (if there's room in storage).

My little orphans were banished from my FASO website too.... a great move on my part, because my website no longer moves at a snail’s pace.... it even bored me to death. Now it is much faster, a real plus for the clicker finger.... thrilling to zip right through to the next in nano seconds! You only get 3 or 4 seconds to show your stuff before they or I move on.... something to think about. I also kept it to one page of images. I am not sure a second page of anything is valuable on the internet. When it comes to sales and online marketing I'm reevaluating everything!

My advice keeps your website simple, easy to navigate and for god’s sake.... put prices on everything! Be consistent with your pricing too. And protect your value and collectors in the process…. no 25% off sales. Because sales like this can diminish your collectors value. A better way changes the price tag with no fan fair. Or a discrete “10% good customer discount” at the point of sale. The norm for a collector if they ask…. Most won’t.


50x44 Canvas currently on my custom Hughes wall easel



Canvas 1324-5 in-process oil on linen 3/19/20

This shot of my studio gives a good idea of scale in a 8-foot room. I started this canvas last Sunday at Crossroads art center during SIP (Swimming-in-paint). Once students, we meet, interact, swap stories and have fun painting together every weekend as group. Gets us out of the house or studio to play a bit. 

Reproductions, another reason to paint


Currently I am painting to retrieve older consigned works not in storage. At the moment my reason to paint! These paintings are not commissions. However, there is a silver lining over the coming months once finished most will hang on temporary walls as consigned inventory! If they don't find forever-walls, there was another reason to paint I rather like... not new to me. The Fine Art Reproduction market. I did a tremendous amount of work few years back on this project until it  was bogged down in the details. I built a Shopify sales platform, but never launched it because of some supply issues I could not resolve. I recently deleted the platform for a fresh start. 

I continued with good professional digital files on many paintings. I have about 60 or 70 high-quality images available. My signed paper prints and framed enhanced canvas prints are available at Crossroads and Richard Stravitz gallery in Virginia Beach. And, of course my Website under Chuck Larivey Editions.


SIPSwimming-in-Paint



No comments:

Post a Comment