Monday, December 10, 2012

One painting at a time - my grumpy "X"

As a young fledgling artist I don't remember frustration and art in the same thought - I was pretty much happy with my results. Besides, I'm not sure as a kid I had a reference of good or bad. Today I do.....so when  I mess up something that was right....you know a bit of diddling on a good passage or someone asks you to repeat a good comment and you can't with the same clarity - I get annoyed....that's what I call frustration....not because I couldn't but because I didn't!

Venetian Gods was one of those moments where good sense goes out the window. Normally when that urge comes on it's time to stop - take a break or end the session. LOL....Well I did end the session with a big nasty "X" across 4-days work....my frustration was gone and it felt good too:=) Imagine, a temper tantrum at my age...you gotta love it:=)

Then remorse took over; good thing too because I had the good sense to remove the big "X" and scrape the messed up passages off - in this case the gondolier, my star.  

Oddly it remained on my easel untouched for almost a week - normally it would have disappeared, but I wasn't in a painting mode. I had other things to do so it didn't have my attention, or did it?  

Yes, I think it did. I also think my week long break saved it...It was unfinished business and needed to be resolved before starting a new one. Removing the damage was the first clue I wasn't done with it. If I hadn't removed the "X" it would have been finished with no regrets and nothing to stop me from starting a new painting, which I had no desire to do....even after a week.

I think working on large multiple projects most of my adult life taught me to finish each stage before moving on or changing directions. In other words, complete the thought. In my mind, a painting is not a long term project and deserves my attention until its resolved one way or the other. It keeps the mind free from a lot of unresolved clutter.....like my grumpy "X"

 End of day 4 - before grumpy "X" was removed and Gondolier scraped smooth

DAY 5 #759

  #759 Venetian Melody (renamed) 30x30 oil on linen (12-8-12)

DETAILS

 Detail of Gondolier - this whole section was off and over cooked

 Detail of final Gondolier and oar - I got carried away and decorated his oar - one of my favorite details....I'll do it again too

Much the reason for the grumpy "X"

Final Venetian God 

I'm good with my results and decided to do another Venetian God, only this one will be 48x44 - Yesterday, I stretched the canvas for an early start today.......well see 

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment