Thursday, February 14, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Last week was busy with (3) paintings completed and one day off. I also attended two evening art openings (1) Gallery Flux and (2) LeGrand's Soiree.....I especially enjoy Sue LeGrand's Soiree's because I get to meet art lovers in a more personal residential setting and of course talk art. 

I like to look for the jump factor and hear what they like about a painting and why.

An interesting observation and something a regional painter might be interested in....people seem to gravitate to international or universal subjects more - perhaps because it reminds them of a favorite vacation spot. They get excited when they come a across a painting that reminds them of it too. It becomes the first step of making a sale.

I'm beginning to believe the painting first needs a personal connection, whether universal or local.....more than meeting the artist. Meeting the artist might have a future bearing on collecting their work - otherwise it seems not to be a factor.

I'm glad I spent the time at the front end broadening my base to include painting anything and continue doing so - as in the portrait and figure project I'm working on now......only stopping when I can't take it any further! Then, waiting for the next opportunity to make another run at it...as a result, I don't think I'll ever get bored exploring painting.



 #779 Koi & Lotus 30x36 oil on linen (2-5-13)

#780 Surfer Soul 24x20 oil on linen (2-8-13)


#781 Jenni - study under LED light 24x20 oil on linen (2-8-13)

I'm starting to make progress on my portrait project. My portrait #781 is the 6th study of Jenni.....because I've started thinking of the final painting I know my Jenni studies are over.

The serious one will start taking shape after a break. I have the concept in place for at least one of my Portrait Society of America contest entries. I can submit (3) for consideration - with (3) weeks left it's possible:=)  

Later...got a date with a painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment