Monday, February 11, 2013

Contests a lotto for artist or does it have value?

It's really a good question and I don't have a clear cut answer. I know they had value beyond awards and prize money at the front end for me because it was a way of seeing how my work stacked up against other artists...peer validation if you will. So, at least for me I received value for time and money paid. I got out of contests and organizational juried shows in 2012 with the exception of OPA - feeling my reasons and goals were met.

Now I'm back in the contest game for other reasons.......to win! How do you that? I don't know...most refer to it like winning a lotto. But, I've studied it a lot and know its different from what I call best-wall paintings or gallery paintings....if you study the Raymar contest archives, finalist and winners, all judged by different and well qualified judges - it appears consistent with a very high level of quality work. If you're a serious representational artist, as I am, the Raymar archives are worth studying.  Over a (6) year period it gives you a solid road map of what's expected and what will win....so perhaps its not a lotto after all.
  
Art contests are typically judged by master artists or art editors, museum directors...rarely gallery owners. The only one I know juried and run by a gallery is Greenhouse Gallery's International Salon out of San Antonio, TX.  They select a top 50 out of the juried paintings. But the serious awards are selected by a celebrity master artist....perhaps with a different thinking, perhaps more academic based rather than saleable art galleries need. BTW if memory serves me right, most of the top winners will sell in this show....perhaps because it was juried by the gallery in the first place. Painting to sell and not painting to sell, but hoping you do, verses the elite academic art circles, is an aspect of the art business that is so contradictory it's mind boggling.....at least for this artist. I look at all this as just another reason to paint!

  • Learning
  • Galleries
  • Contests and Juried shows

Not complaining - fascinating game and I love every aspect of it....a good painting, a good camera and lots of money is all that's required....no supporting cast, just yourself to make it or not! 

Right now my 2013 play list looks like this:

(1) Greenhouses International Salon (1 of 3 entered, selected)

(2) OPA - Oil Painters of America, including newer online contests I'm qualified for. (2-entered in 2012 National)

(3) American Portrait Society and all their online contests

(4) The Raymar contest 7th season (registered)

Enough to keep any artist totally swamped and broke!!

SOME SOLD PAINTINGS 
#431 Parliament Winter Sun 20x16 oil on linen (1-16-11)
 #517 Venice Canal Light 8x10 oil on linen (5-20-11)
#523 Venice - view to San Giorgio 8x10 oil on linen (5-24-11)
Congratulations LeGrand Fine Art!!
Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment