Sunday, September 1, 2013

Staring at a blank 60x66 white canvas

Every once in awhile nothing looks appetizing....certainly true in painting. Nothing so far is causing me to pick up the brush. Aside from fixing a previous painting, the last 8 days has gone flat....unusual, because "nothing" is what I wanted to paint! For sure not the 66x60 canvas in front of me!

So before this goes too far, I'm going to force the issue by removing that big old 60x66 white canvas I've been staring at for the last 3 or 4 days and replace it with a smaller one. I was originally thinking a 11x14 or 20x20 might move it along....nice and easy....nothing to lose kinda size. 

Then I kicked in with a 48x44, realizing I wasn't up for another big one just yet or a "teeny bopper"! I know this isn't small, however, it is, when compared to the other monster!

BACK TO IT!

Game is on with # 853 - 48x44 linen canvas
 


I only had an afternoon session because it took all morning for me to stop fussing and pick up the brush....this painting is all about air and water and needs to stay fresh. I want to maintain my wet-in-wet throughout, so I need good stopping points. In this case my horizon line  

For the most part, upper part of my painting is done and as far as I could take it today.

SECOND SESSION


This would make a great stopping point but I had a full day - got up early ready to go and still had time to make it to the bottom of my canvas. I also didn't go back into yesterdays work....so far it's holding up.


Working top to bottom I finish each passage as I go; in other words, each "thought", because I'll never have it, or the moment again. If I don't, I have to start over or do a patch job next session.....also tough on my paint quality; so I try not to. Aside from being a very efficient way to paint, it keeps a certain fresh quality to my work that I like. It's why preplanned stopping points in a painting are important to me. 

Time to sleep on it!


Later.....   

No comments:

Post a Comment