Wednesday, November 6, 2013

BACK TO IT!..CANVAS #865

This time I want to revisit a photo reference of Parliament I messed with in Photoshop. The view is from Hungerford Bridge about 2:30 pm in the afternoon in January. The sun was in the right spot and I was shooting into it, I wanted the water sparkle. My modified version is devoid of detail, more of a nocturnal feel than grey day sun I started with. Again I'll use a 30x36 canvas, the 6th in this series and perhaps last one.

 
My reference

Sienna wash

Messy work space with reference

Good stopping point

Canvas totally covered

My 1st attempt at water sparkle failed here and my use of blue over powers my intent...it means some back painting in my future...but tomorrow.

After sleeping on it,  I spent the day removing some blue and organizing more colour to my sparkle; therefore I improved my light source and water connection - a bit more focused. Feeling confident I even signed it!
.
DETAIL
It always amazes me how much colour is required making light feel right at a distance

Frame Test

The painting works at 30 feet, close up, and changes with available light.......after sleeping on it, I'm not sold. The more I studied it the more I didn't like it! It needs more decluttering and more focus.

#865 London HOP 30x36 oil on linen (10-29-13)

While it doesn't look like a major task, it was. I also had to cover some nice sky passages, but, the result was worth the effort. My use of a triadic colour scheme is causing a plausible  morning grey day morning light. Perhaps not true to my reference, but as a painting on its own, it feels right.....especially in my frame test below.

Frame Test

30x36 WRAP UP
This wraps up my 30x36 painting barrage, it was a good run, especially when there was no reason to paint other than paint !  A Lot to be said for it. Here, I am not only painting for the future (inventory), I'm honing my painting skills with no outside pressures.

Here they are all lined up like little soldiers....wouldn't it be boring if they were presented in a gallery with no break in size for the eye.

 #858 Koi and Lilies 30x36 oil on linen (10-11-13)
#859 James at Sunset 30x36 oil on linen (10-14-13)
#860 Koi and Lilies 30x36 oil on linen (10-18-13)
#861 River Sun 30x36 oil on linen (10-21-13)
#862 Koi and Lilies oil on linen (10-24-13)
#865 London HOP 30x36 oil on linen (10-29-13)

SOLD!

#754 Morning Grazing 30x30 oil on linen (11-19-12)
Congratulations Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery!!

#675 Belle Isle Quarry 30x30 oil on linen (6-24-12)
Congratulations LeGrand Fine Art!!

WOW! What a great month!

Later....




No comments:

Post a Comment