Saturday, November 30, 2013

Canvas 870 Trafalgar Square

After my commission, I decided on making another run at Trafalgar using the same 30x30 size with the idea of staging it (a defined area that can be completed in one session) as opposed to Alla prima....anyway, so far it hasn't happen in this series. I guess too many design elements, but more probably, I wear out faster these days. My focus will be the challenging water feature. The process so far was following my evolving light and colour in the painting. However, because of continually adjusting it, it ends up overcooking my fountain spray which has to stay fresh and clean. Primarily a wet in wet painter it shows as a flaw if I don't. So this time I'll leave it to the end with everything else in place, give it a fresh start and see what happens.


Stage 1 - sepia sketch/sun location

Stage 1 - Nelson blockout

Stage 1 - Nelson detail - I'll work the sky into this wet paint and adjust Nelsons shape to suit.

Stage 1 - end of day

The fountain was left bare except a bit of golden yellow halo, giving the necessary tie in to my filtering sun and surface mist. At this point, everything above the white area is complete.

Stage 1 - Completed detail of Nelson

Stage 1 - Detail of Lion base

Stage 2 - frame test

My water fountain is standing out too much - over powering the suns reflection on the water surface.

NOTE: All the lower section was completed in my 2nd session. I also didn't get any stage photos, but I did complete all the square, figures, fountain base, and suns water reflection including all the necessary connections before doing the water spray.

Stage 2 - Detail of water feature

The glow of the fountain is greater than the suns reflection on the water. I have a yellow outer halo but...it needs to be darker with a lot more yellow to make my suns water reflection stand out....I can't make it brighter....soooo the fountain goes darker....tomorrow!

 Stage 3 - completed fountain detail

Normally I don't use any glazing in my process but I had basically good shapes, a white background  with some colour (almost dry) so adding several quick moves in a number of yellows, with lots of medium, quickly balances the water feature and the suns reflection. It also did something equally important; it connected my suns saturated yellow with my fountain and surface fog already in place.

#870 Morning Sun - Trafalgar Square 30x30 oil on linen (11-23-13)

SOME DETAILS 

Favorite figure detail and my new favorite Williamsburg colour Provence Violet Bluish used pure wet into wet.

I'm going to stop the series here and move on to another subject. I got what I was after, plus I need a break. Next I want to explore florals with lots of colour;  a subject I set aside a few years ago in favor of water lilies....that gets old too..:=) 

Later..........

No comments:

Post a Comment