Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Still in the Venice mode

I had a free day after finishing my Venice commission - still in the mode it seemed logical to revisit my first attempt with a fresh eye, perhaps improve on it a bit?

Soooo...out with the red marker!
 
RED LINE COMPARISON
889 Venetian Mist 48x44 oil on linen (2-16-14)

INSPIRATION PAINTING
 550 original 72x60

Aside from a colour shift from the original intent, I lined up three (3) key elements (sun, Salute and water reflection) without thinking. Not a major issue if I didn't also have filtered light drifting down to another major element, a reflective hot spot. Three is not a bad number in design, however here, it also caused a major balance shift left. The Salute is the only identifying element saying Venice skyline. It got in the way of my light drifting down to the waters surface. The drift is much cleaner when in front of a more nondescript background as in the original (above). The same (3) elements where used, creating a clean triangle. What happens, and did, because it's wet-in-wet process along with maintaining the Salute's integrity, I became overly cautious; you can't, there is only one shot here. It can easily become over cooked which I think it did! In the end it needed more air than I was able to give it here without moving the sun. A very good reason to jump ship with a fresh version, which of course I did!
With that in mind I decided to beef up the intensity and see where it went.

RED LINE PLAN

Red line #1 - I decided to bump up an "S" pattern already there and extend the suns light effect more right. This established a stronger secondary reflective light pattern in relationship to the Salute. The simple solution here is move the Sun, but I don't want to. I would rather take the time working with it, extending the light effect merging into my lagoon to the right....follow the light and see what happens....if anything.
Red line #2 - Needed cleaning up from overworking.

MODIFICATION

 889 Merging of Light and Water 48x44 oil on linen (reworked 3-2-14)

DETAILS


FRAME TEST
Not too bad in a frame either, good inventory....:=)

Did I improve it? I don't know. Making comparisons to the original design was a good exercise for sure. This isn't the same, so on it's own only time will tell..... 

The one commonality or charm all (3) paintings have, the original, this and the second commission version, is how they respond to different light conditions regardless of how soft or intense, but especially in relatively dark ambient surroundings. The subtle colour shifts add incredible depth and begin appearing more translucent as the surrounding light drops.....originally not intended as "evening paintings", it's what they became. The tragedy would be not discovering it.

Next project! Deliver commission painting - I'll show them both and hope for the best!


Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment