Thursday, June 12, 2014

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - Canvas 901

I'm in the mood for yellow, lots of yellow as in Koi, When sunlight hits these colourful creatures it can be a blinding mix of saturation colour and water. That's what I want to paint on this 72x66  canvas....with any luck a bit more abstract than the past or.....not!

I want to try out a new Winsor Newton Griffin Alkyd fast drying oil Titanium White......it looks good out of the tube, it has a nice buttery feel too.

DAY ONE
901-1a 72x66 oil on linen (6-3-14) - on easel to show scale
901-1b Canvas at days end

DAY TWO
901-2 Canvas at days end (6-4-14)

My basic plan is to work top down, reducing or defusing detail with colour and building high contrasted light as I go. When I start following the light with colour,....and do it with a brush, it takes on a life of it's own. Then you can only follow the music as I'm doing here........

DAY THREE
 901-3 Canvas at days end (6-5-14)
Easel pit places top of canvas in easy reach

DAY FOUR
901-a At days end (6-6-14)
Could sign off here

 DAY FIVE
 901-5 Canvas at the end of day (6-7-14) Inside warm light
 Could have signed off here too

This time around, I desaturated my greens using greyed violets and then on a spur of the moment I really increased my cadmium yellows, pure as I could make it! Now wondering if I should make another pass.

After sleeping on it I decided to sign off....then picked up a brush to fix something. Well, what can I say.....another day at it!!

DAY SIX
 901 Changelings 72x66 oil on linen - filtered outside light (6-9-14)

I'm crazy about my new fast dry alkyd white... it does make a difference - easy to use transparent pigment over it rather quickly so I don't lose momentum as before. In combination with my mediums, also dryers, my high saturated oils set up quickly too.....not sticky the next day either and leaves a smooth surface so my paint glides over it - at certain points a little drag perhaps, but if it's a problem a little medium takes care of that....so I'm a happy camper.

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment