Monday, June 2, 2014

900 and counting

Yep! Counting to 5000! I only have 4,100 more to go - certain I'll never see that original goal or a canvas approaching 5000. I would have to exchange brushes for paint rollers to do it. Chop it up into tiny pieces and spend the rest of my time signing them......as it turns out 5000 is a lot of paintings. I am glad about one thing tho, I numbered each and every painting along with a photo image. Even numbered, the little buggers are hard to keep track of.

And that paint roller sounds interesting or perhaps a squeegee my painter friend Dunlop uses.....not:=)

So here we go, Trafalgar Fountain - London, canvas number 900....a nice round number.

DAY ONE
900-1a 60x48 oil on linen wrap (5-30-14)
 900-1b at days end

DAY TWO


  900-2 at days end

DAY THREE 

900-3 end of day - signed

If I had to judge each day, I would have to go with Day two as  my best in show and here is why!

DAY TWO WINNER!!


900-2
DETAILS





Love my small crop details, they could easily be signed....so maybe there is an after use, cut them up or paste them on something else! The one thing I am pleased with, is the energy released on this canvas. 
I LOST SOME OF THAT ON THE 3rd DAY.......AGAIN! REVERTING BACK!!

Riley on the sidelines is bored silly

There is something that comes out naturally in what I do. But, it goes against traditional format painting popular today.....it's an abstract movement with colour....sometimes very strong, like the Ballerinas below. No question one of my most favorite paintings and with luck is back in my possession (recently retrieved from a gallery wall). For-sure I'll never win any OPA prizes with it or paintings like it......guess what:=) I didn't pick up my paint brush to do that or please another, other than myself........selfish SOB that I am. Every once in awhile, like now, I do turn it lose. I think there is a rhythm to what we do and I'm not convinced we can alter it drastically.

652 Coffee Break 30x30 oil on linen (4-23-12)

No doubt we can mimic another......but that's not who we are....only a poor second of someone else. A little theft never hurt tho. It's like Dunlop and his squeegee.....I thoroughly enjoyed watching him use it once in Vegas. I can see using it to spread interesting paint effects over larger areas. No question it could be useful and save time in background areas. Kinda like a shovel; use it to find out whats underneath it all.

BTW Gamblin - Galkyd Lite is working well in place of mineral spirits. It does setup more quickly than mineral spirits and gives it a bit of a finish. The colours sit on top better, I still use it to break down paint areas. When it mingles with the Gamblin, it sets up faster and you don't get that dull film spirits alone leaves. Perhaps a mixture would work well too! I had a large bottle gathering dust so perhaps it has a use going forward.

However as good as it works at the front end nothing much beats Gamblin's Neo-Megilp for floating colour and paint quality as in Coffee break!! I did not use it on this painting.....yet!

So, I don't know how much progress I'm making here but yesterday I stretched up a 72x66 canvas for my next go at it!

 NEW NOISY POND SQUATTERS

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment