Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Simplicity and size

The last one was a fun painting but far afield from my main focus....... I want to work more with layering transparent colour - diminishing the original image as I go. The idea of inner glow with simplicity the end object.

 CANVAS 934 - 48x44
I started out with simple blended composition - my brushwork was a constant smooth horizontal movement - then blended vertically......

Second session, I couldn't resist connecting the sun with the bar reflections at the bottom - which lead to a filtering of air and light downwards. If you looked hard enough perhaps visions of a harbor or Grand Canal - still, not exactly what I was after.

 934 Air Shaft 48x44 oil on linen (10-22-14)

Third session, I strengthened the vertical design, cooled down the sides containing the heat. Now it feels better with a stronger focus on the sun.

I think size matters with a simple design like this....48x44 isn't a bad size, but in the flesh seems too small. Although I'm not sure at this point it could have worked as seamlessly on anything larger.

The painting below, 457 Venetian Sun, is a good comparison of change. It is basically the same concept...... perhaps even the same subject as 934 Air Shaft but more literal and at 30x30 in a frame worked well.......suggesting simplicity is helped along by size. 

457 Venetian Sun 30x30 oil on linen (3-29-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment