Monday, October 6, 2014

Ground Zero Again!

I see where this is going and most likely I'm at ground zero again! 

When I decided to shift gears, I was curious or concerned how it would affect my representational side. Was it possible to do both or would they merge? The last months I've been bouncing back and forth, each time with a clearer view of things to come. Although from this process I gained a working concept and for lack of a better description by me coined "transitional abstraction".

I'm just following my nose like everyone else hoping for something more substantial than a concept. I want a plan, a path with finish or a goal line! Because, I know it's easy to get there with one. Not a concept but a solid plan that can be adjusted as needed. The distance to a finish line is shortened and becomes a soft wave as opposed to an erratic heart beat.....

I like U-Tube....I didn't want to paint yesterday so I entertained myself by watching videos about different modern art movements. One particular video, Painters Painting, I've seen before and wanted another go at it. It's a seriously old documentary and not well done but gives the flavor of the time. I was curious if I would have a different take on it. I also looked at a few newer ones, including Lucian Freud....perhaps more relevant to our time.

They all confirmed size, scale and possibilities, as expected, however two words struck home. Heroic for size and Intimacy for intent. I don't believe used together when describing Mark Rathko dark canvases commissioned for the Seagram Building. They were never hung at the Four Seasons because he detested the idea of people eating under his work and some are now appropriately residing at Tate Modern. I instantly thought of those two words as one and my missing link. "Heroic Intimacy" no question describes Rathko's paintings especially with diminished light as he expressly wanted, but also describes where I'm heading. Heroic (as in scale) Intimacy (as in intent) with diminished light (as in visual) perhaps slowly changing or moving to music (as in sound). Hope there's a program out there to make it happen...LOL

Here's what I know as a mood painter.... I can do the deed; as designer... I can do the rest! I really am hoping there is a program for the lighting and music tho..........

No comments:

Post a Comment