Saturday, October 4, 2014

Another kind of air - Canvas 926

Oxygenated water is another form of AIR I wanted to explore. The sun drenched water with sunlight on the waters surface as seen from below plus an alternative reflecting off the bottom.

At certain points while painting I did flip the canvas to work on it....not looking for flaws, but looking for fresh possibilities and assumed each time it was right-side-up......next session that might change.

Ultimately a final choice will be made by me if I sign it on the front or by someone else if I don't. I would like to leave that open by signing it on the back or discretely on a side edge.

STAGE 1
STAGE 2
I had something bolder in mind!

STAGE 3
 Flipped and a major coverup - now it works for me.

FINAL STAGE 4
The sunlight reflecting off the bottom - I had what I wanted!

Could it make any sense vertical?
Oddly enough likable but fresh and interesting as a check for weaknesses in my colour transitions!

926 AIR 48x72 oil on linen (9-30-14)

Mission accomplished, I have both options in place by simply turning it up-side-down......will it never end:=)

I need some fresh ideas so off to the other-side with the next few canvases.......perhaps a little cross pollinating like the green Koi rework below.


This experimental painting in it's original form was to never see the light of day after it's short sprint at my Crossroads gallery. Today and to my surprise it is fast becoming one of my favorites of 2014. It just needed a fresh eye, a little attention, a nice frame and a second chance back on the wall to show its stuff. Perhaps it's the intimacy of another worlds moment that has me captivated but my money is also on seeing something I would like to repeat......diminished light.

No question a painting done with one mindset and completed with another and is no longer one or the other but both. No matter, like a good junky I want more, only now hoping it wasn't a one-off as they say.

I'm starting to get the bigger picture as to where all this is going and most likely I'm at ground zero again! Well, that was a possibility too! I guess one has to hope your galleries and collectors move with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment