Saturday, April 4, 2020

A casual arrangement

My next canvas will be a 36x40, an almost square at 1440 sq. in. The smallest rectangle I paint these days. I especially like the proportions of an almost square canvas because it looks good either way turned. Big enough for a floater or gallery frame or reproduction purposes. With a good digital capture, a reproduction can, be larger than the original is always a consideration. A smaller canvas would have limitations sizing up.

36x40 linen canvas (1325) on easel to show scale


A CASUAL ARRANGEMENT 36x40 oil on linen 4/4/20

The story behind the painting
Maymont 090 reference for canvas 1325 3/29/20

I was attracted to the colour of the Koi, sunlight and reflected transparency on the water. The composition will require modification to my canvas size. In the end a reference is only a starting point to bigger story.

Mid-day sun from skylights.... break time until it passes

Canvas 1325-1 at days end 3/29/20

At this point, the Koi are only suggestions and subject to change. I am not totally happy with the placement of the first yellow Koi.... will see

Yellow Koi Time Comparison
1325-1 detail to show brushwork & texture 3/29/20
1325-6 progress 4/3/20
Original reference (cropped)

I want movement and textured brushwork to dominate. I already know to the adjust the placement of my Koi first thing next session.

Canvas 1325-2 at days end 3/30/20
 
It was a productive session. The first Koi arrangement finalize, established a movement leading the eye to a counter move started by a red Koi (top-right).  The red-line illustration (below) demonstrates how each movement intersects with counter moves.


A new addition to my composition, some twigs or branches extending out of the water meant to bring the eye to the bottom and meet up with the right-hand koi. Still in the development stage (lower-right). I also believe the composition could use another Koi sweeping up at the bottom left to ground the movement and painting (small red line).

My mixing table, old school desk with pullout shelf

I normally don't cover a canvas completely.... it has tendency to close a canvas down to new ideas. However, in my last session some twigs/branches projecting out of my canvas with cast shadows.... caused me to rethink doing so. The execution or process required it be covered and wet. My intention to have an element with a 3-D effect.... The twigs could be an interesting juxtapose to curves.... will soon see if it works out.

Canvas  1325-3 at days end 3/31/20
Cream Koi and Straight red-lines illustrate the idea. 3/31/20

I like the addition of the off-white leaf design to the twigs (below), The off-white plays well against the background colour. Plus, shadows cast on the water surface.
 
Canvas 1325-4 at days end 4/1/20

1325-4 Detail showing 3-D effect

They play rough and for keeps. Scarlet has the upper hand in this battle
All this for possession of Riley's pink ball....  

Tomorrow could see an end to this canvas with a signature. The canvas is ready for a top down review and final punctuation!  

Canvas 1325-5 at days end 4/2/20




After a long day

Study last night revealed a balance problem with my Koi arrangement. The new white Koi added at the bottom left me with two parallel lines. Needs something to redirect the eye.... a Friday morning challenge ahead!

First thing, some Koi references to help me out.  I found one from the same day (below).



Red-lines represent possible solutions

The trick, inserting new players into a pack filled finished work.... New Koi could be under or over the other too.

Canvas 1325-6 at days end 4/3/20

Not exactly to my plan, but sort of works! The bottom Koi placed under the white Koi is not dominate. The other is a partial Koi heading into the canvas and merge into the tree shadows (upper right). Basically, all this joined up several moments. (red line below)


Balancing the "bright" Koi at the bottom was driving me crazy! If it were darkened, it would redirect the eye back to golden/yellow Koi. It's either that or put something in the upper right-hand corner to balance it! I could, but this puppy is done! Knowing when to stop is a good thing!


Well! Back at the same spot an empty easel....


SIPSwimming-in-Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment