Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Good Case for en Plein Air….But on our “Best Walls?”

 "Golden walls"

Speaking as a designer, probably not, but as an artist I came to understand en plein air is a very useful learning tool. My first year required me to redevelop my painting skills, basically relearn everything, because as an artist I eventually wanted to paint for the "best walls". As a designer I knew rather quickly not all painting are worth hanging. As an artist I have different reasons to paint beside “those golden walls”. As a designer the process moved much faster than it might otherwise – I knew the end product I wanted on the "Golden walls". En plein air was critical to the outcome. I did my homework!!

 “Know your subject”

It was clear if I wanted to paint fast running water or an even faster changing sun it had to be studied first hand and understood – “Know your subject” is true of anything you might want paint!! I wouldn’t leave a subject until I reached my goal or taken it as far as I could. I’m a rotation painter (multiple subjects) if I understand the shape I can paint it! Each rotation got better. I just keep adding new subjects, currently its portraiture, my first move was to join the Portrait Society of America and enter the 2011 international portrait contest. I enter three paintings – two which were painted exclusively for the completion. None made it to the finals, but very few do. I then had all three critiqued – a service of the society. Former 2000 Best in show winner and master portrait painter Margaret Carter Baumgaertner did the critique. (a bit scary) I wanted to know my short comings so I could work on it for the 2012 competition. I always could do portraits but never tried from life tho. Generally I knew my subject so it passed as my three entries did. I thought I was going to get clobbered, but I did OK, well better than OK. She gave me a great deal of useful information and recommended life painting. I knew en plein air worked so I recently started painting from life. The first go was bit rough, but the second time went very well. I’m at the front end of this project, but I approached each subject the same way…. I can tell you it works!

"First portrait  since 1967"


 #156 Chris 24x20 oil on canvas 10/3/2009 was my first portrait since 1967
I thought it might be of some interest - my original style was back within 7 months of my first painting. The heavy clumsy textural style seen in my stinkers collection is no longer evident - I think it developed during the pallet knife years and seemed to hang on each time I reopened my paint box.....surly why I closed it each time. When I started painting the sun each morning the heavy textural approach gave away to my more natural fluid style.

My 3 submission to the Portrait Society of Americas 2011 International portrait competition

#159 John & Chris 20x24 oil on canvas completed Alla prima 10/8/2009

#439 Julie Adler Sparage 30x30 oil on linen Completed 2/16/2011

#442 Gene Ruark 36x30 Oil on linen Completed 2/25/2011

FIRST (3) LIFE PAINTINGS

#526 20-minute life study 10x8 oil on linen Completed Alla prima 5/26/2011

#527 Two hour life study 20x20 oil on linen Completed Alla prima 5/26/2011

#542 Terry - life study 3-hours 20x16 oil on linen Completed Alla prima 6/14/2011

Painting requires a real confidence in your ability to do something. Painting while pleasurable is a very serious undertaking, it's complex, very competitive and now globally marketed. It's a very demanding mistress!! Obviously my simple plan expanded dramatically during the first year...LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment