Sunday, June 26, 2011

The plan and Plein Air

Once I decided on painting as a career and before my 2nd painting I had a simple plan with set goals – at the end of the day I knew what I wanted out art!!

The original plan was a simple concept, become a financially successful oil painter with an international reputation, paint at least 5000 canvas, leaving those not sold in a trust for the benefit of my family and also included an endowment to the arts supporting emerging artists. I allowed 15 years for the entire project.

I Know 5000 sounds like a big number and it is, but the number is based on on my average out put. Not an unrealistic number for a daily painter or in my case also an Alla prima painter (one session or all at once). The only exception is my larger works which may require several sessions.

YEAR ONE


These 3 power points turned out to be the key and from this list it evolved very quickly into a more refined plan producing a solid platform. The first years results were stunning and beyond my expectations.
  • Redevelop my skills as a painter
  • Web site as a launching platform
  • Join professional artist groups - meet other artist and become involved

PLEIN AIR

I needed a good quality product to sell so that became my first project and priority. I allowed one year relearning everything I knew or thought I knew about painting - basically redeveloping my skills as a painter. Plein air seemed like a good place to start and looking back it was a good choice. As proof - my very first en Plein Air painting (#2) and my last (#548) completed last Friday at the VPAP (Virginia Plein Air Painters) monthly paint-out at Tuckahoe Plantation. As you can see by the numbers I have 4452 paintings to go:=)


#2 Libby Terrace 8x8 completed en Plein Air on 3/18/2009
#548 Tuckahoe Plantation
8x10 completed en Plein Air at the VPAP paint-out on 6/24/2011

I don't know what the tree is, but its "very yellow" and had to be painted! We had at least 25 artist in attendance - special thanks to Marla Colman (VPAP founder) and Stella Jones our host for the day.

Tuckahoe Plantation is a privately owned historic property, a working farm, and the boyhood home of Thomas Jefferson. It has lovely pastures and meadows (with cattle, sheep, chickens, horses, etc.), extensive formal and informal gardens, lovely old outbuildings, a historic house (tours are by appointment only), and a wooded slope down to the canal and the James River. There are bathrooms in the old stable, found in a collection of outbuildings near the house. There is plenty of shade, if the day is a hot one. It is a peaceful location, full of paintable scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment