Monday, June 27, 2011

Why Plein Air? The stinker period!!

Why plein Air? 

At first I really didn't know, but I knew my few paintings completed  in Plein air felt better than those in the studio. It made sense to continue on.....

My 4th and 5th were studio paintings,true stinkers!!! I used one of my photos and one heisted off Flickr (by chance) while looking for places in Virginia to paint. The search for  suitable places to paint clearly was the first real challenge!


A FEW STUDIO STINKERS!!


#4 Mirasol 8x8 Oil on canvas panel 
Completed Alla prima 3/27/2009

#5 No-title 20x24 Oil on canvas panel (palette knife) 
Completed Alla prima 3/29/2009

ONE OF MY FAVORITE

A friend has a place at Fishing Bay. I drove down with an eye out for suitable material. I also carried my paints and camera, during my visit I painted #6 Ruark Loggia en plein (water view was cold and grey) that day I got my first taste of really cold meant even colder on the water. Even so, I got a painting I still like today. Later I made it a gift to my host. 


#6 Ruark Loggia 11x14 Oil on canvas panel Completed en Plein Air 3/31/2009

After this I did a few more in the studio, but felt it wasnt working, I needed more information than just my photos. I went back out to my first plein air location, Libby Terrace (very close to me) a park high up on a hill with commanding views of Richmond and the James River. April is still cold in Virginia I could handle 50 degrees for a bit more than an hour but by mid-April the days were getting better and the trees were starting to bud, even some flowers. 

Better days ahead..

No comments:

Post a Comment