Sunday, September 2, 2012

Tweaking my plan

On the surface it might appear as if I burned a few bridges with my galleries, but I don't think so. I took a strong position on "Creative Control" and the gallery system just brought it to the surface.

When you have a plan with a time frame as I certainly do and something doesn't work, or will take too long, and causes you to miss your finish date, I tweak it. I edit and look for alternatives. One might look at that as a compromise....and at some level it could be and if it were to affect the project negatively obviously you wouldn't. 

Like all good plans they are designed around a specific, in this case me. Could it be applied to another, perhaps and perhaps not...could it be used as a concept or building block...maybe...there is common ground. 

As the designer of my plan I have to ask myself what value does a gallery bring to the table? Why was it part of the project in the first place and do I need it to finish? Without question a gallery could play a part and already has. But, that gallery was an alternative to the norm.

At the front end of my  project it was a logical choice to sell my work though galleries.......3 1/2 years in I know its not! Because now I know whats required to handle me and my work and I might add, successfully. When I apply my model to the standard gallery system it doesn't work. I don't fault the galleries, its not their problem its mine. 

In the bigger picture it could also mean I'm not ready for galleries yet!

When I embarked on my new career I made a very clear choice to only paint for the best walls - as a designer I know what it means. I also know whats required to present it properly. Going in I knew my market and why they even bought art in the first place and my sales are on track. 

I wasn't thinking of "collectors", however they quickly became part of it and I wasn't thinking of elite art circles either. The latter an interesting challenge. As an artist can I fit in? LOL much less get in? I'm a little rough around the edges for that group but like my mother-in-law always said when I misbehaved "you gotta love him, he's got talent" 

Some of this seems to fit although not part of my original plan. In any event, after some floundering I'm back on plan and moving forward. I can tell it in my painting too - it has my attention again!

No comments:

Post a Comment