Sunday, June 23, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Lately working with the sun, I'm applying it to different settings - oddly all 40x44...so far (6) are completed in sequence. Looks like I have an unintended series running. I was also hoping to catch a few sunrise and sets during my week of plein air - however weather and schedules got in my way.

I started a 40x44 painting #821 of Venice a few days before Plein Air Richmond so it was the 1st order of business to get it finished.

It's kind of interesting to see my results in sequence....quite a range. The challenge here is merging the sun into my chosen settings which were very generic photo references mainly for shapes - I'm not looking for absolute accuracy but the essence of the setting. It becomes an exercise in following light and colour to a conclusion. So most anything can happen, as you can see.

Painting a small Sun Series


 821 Venice - Morning Transit 40x44 oil on linen (6-18-13)

 820 The James from Belle Isle 40x44 oil on linen (6-8-13)

 819 Morning Matadors 40x44 oil on linen (6-2-13)

 818 London - HOP 40x44 oil on linen (5-30-13)

 817 London - HOP 40x44 oil on linen (5-22-13)

816 London - HOP oil on linen (5-14-13)

My last painting of the week 

 833 Koi and a Turtle 30x30 oil on linen (6-22-13)

My Hughes Easel arrived and quickly claimed by my little sidekick



Next week I'll be in Bucks County, PA. painting plein air as part of "Artist Painting for a Cause" hosted by the Timmons Fine Art Gallery in Doylestown, Pa. I think it fits well into my atmospheric sun paintings because I plan on painting the sun from the same location both morning and evening. I'll have broad vistas of pastures and the Delaware river as subject material......lots of good choices.

LOL....during the day I'll suffer up and paint the proverbial "Red Barns" and "Covered Bridges" that they really want. 

 Later........

No comments:

Post a Comment