Wednesday, March 11, 2015

10 things that worked for me as an artist

When I returned to painting in 2009, I did it with a clear state of mind, not the typical romantic idea of it. I knew it would be hard work. I wanted to approach it equally as a business. That meant marketing and selling my work would be as important as my easel, another tool and my art.
  1. One painting at a time - finish it! Good or bad, move on! 
  2. Discipline, paint daily, develop subject matter, size and ultimately a signature style.
  3. Paint with a coordinated focus as in solo exhibit, real or not.....think like a star, be a star
  4. Mastering a singular subject but be capable of painting anything.
  5. Know your market and paint for it.
  6. Paint large and for the best walls - make paintings deserving of those sweet spots
  7. Hughes easels are in my opinion the most efficient and professional way to work.
  8. American Art Collector - National advertizing for brand and gallery representation.
  9. Fine Art Studios Online - Professional Website at $28.00 a month - can't say enough about that.
  10. JFM wholesale framers - you need a resale number
Perhaps each of these deserve more explanation. However, they are meant as bullets... a few of the requirements and products I found that worked well. If you are in the game you'll relate to each of these in your own way. The one thing I found unshakable, the quicksand if you will, the professional artist has to know their market, have champions, a product with a signature look and be prolific!

If possible develop a partnership with your gallery - easy to be friends, hard to be partners.
  1. Galleries need closers and some are in a frequent state of change. Gallery ownership is another romantic idea that's really a hard business venture - be wary of that fact.
  2. Galleries have to champion you - galleries with too many artists can't do that well.
Before I go to work some eye candy. This painting is an interesting shape and size, perhaps because it's more custom and not commonly found. One of the things the affluent buyer looks for......uniqueness in their lives and environment.
EYE CANDY
947 Koi and Lilies 40x84 linen gallery wrap (2-15-15)

No comments:

Post a Comment