Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Saturday: Sometimes I get negative or annoyed when something doesn't go to plan. Kinda normal I guess. Some things can certainly cause derailments.  Some more serious than others. Fortunately, our nature is to get back on track. The more serious stuff I frequently call quicksand and it's not exclusive to any career choice.

Speaking of choice, as artists, we can be a successful artist or a financially successful artist. The latter becomes a career choice, a profession, and commands the title Professional Artist. It begs the question " is the non selling artist any less a professional"?  It probably doesn't make a big difference.  Look it up, it has variable meanings. Although commonly it's referred to as education and a means to a living.

The artist can sell or not and be clearly satisfied producing a good painting; perhaps teaching, joining organizations and doing juried shows. They can enjoy the pleasure of the occasional sale as a testimonial to their achievements and the fact someone loved their work enough to pay hard earned money for it. I expect all artists in any field do their craft for exactly the same reason.... they have a natural ability and do it. I don't think any one choice has more passion attached to it than another. We are predisposed to gravitate toward things that interest us....if you can make a living at it, even better. In the end we all have to make a living.....unless supported or we're trust fund babies.....not lucky there, sooooo..... like most others I rely on my own devices.

My blog has always been more about marketing than "how to paint". I am, by nature, someone who passes information on to others primarily to get things done. My position was unique as a custom designer and it placed me squarely in the creative end of things. Over time I became organized and disciplined because I had to solve problems daily; mostly design, production and delivery... but it also included sales. Creativity was more important there because you had to sell an idea; the concept with a few samples, graphics and waving hands.... But more important, with words of confidence! In truth, a reputation for quality and attention to detail has to precede you before the checkbook really opens. I learned quality and execution ruled even if the budget didn't hold. They didn't come to me because of the budget but what I could deliver. Art is no different! Art and good design is a luxury few can really afford......unless they can do it themselves. The planet has it's share of those trying. 

It's 7:40 am and I have to start work. Yesterday I completed my 2nd day on a 56x48 canvas. The first pass is done on my lily pads and yesterday was spent on the single flower...... Today I'll install my Koi and paint in the background. This, like all my canvases is a gallery wrap and I'll paint the sides along with my background. I found it to be more efficient and aesthetically pleasing if it is in one movement.

955-3 56x48 oil on gallery wrap (3-6-15)

Sunday: The clock moved forward last night, so my work day might start a little later but not for awhile yet.

I recently made an important career decision to master a single subject, Koi and Lilies. Given my limited time frame it made perfect sense....at least to me. In the past I rotated my subjects.... it helped keep my attention span in focus. It wasn't a waste of time because there's not much today I can't put down on a canvas.....painting is second nature. I also removed most outside distractions to give me more time at the easel. BTW the Hughes easel is an extraordinary piece of equipment for any artist, professional or not.

This might have come about because of another choice I made; painting with another singular focus....the solo exhibit, as opposed to a fragmented way I was working; filling gallery walls with individual paintings for imaginary collectors. The solo, even if it doesn't exist when you start, causes you to rethink the whole....the bigger picture if you will. The solo requires an artist to hold all the gallery walls as a cohesive unit. It needs flow with controlled interest, variable sizes, speed bumps and rests plus a little mood music wouldn't hurt. A serious gallery closer wouldn't hurt either......another time on that subject!

The last months at the easel produced a collection of Koi and Lily paintings for a solo at the Stravitz Gallery in Virginia Beach next month. My last solo there was 2 years ago and I think everyone would agree a financial success. This time it will be a bit different. All the players won't be the same and there won't be any Venice paintings, landscapes or seascapes.... not even a wild pony painting....only Koi and Lilies. They have a fair compliment of previous work on the second floor. This show with my new collection will be somewhat of a gamble for everyone involved. However the collection is done, so no turning back now. 

It's 8:27 and time to work again. Yesterday I completed my 3rd day on canvas 955.... as you can see, my Koi is placed as is my background.......what a difference a day makes!


955-4 56x48 oil on gallery wrap (3-7-15)

Monday: Time moves quickly, especially when you're focused on something important. Yesterday was all about detail.... a whole day doing the 2nd pass on my main design elements; lily pads, lily flower and Koi fish. No question it can wear you out. Of course the reward comes when it works and you get to see positive results.

I think it would be destructive to any creative process if it where interrupted and had to be set aside. In my experience, the mind never quite gets back into the same spot again. I've learned over time it pays to keep the process going until it's finished....for better or worse. For that same reason I choose never to work or think about 2 paintings at a time.... only the one I'm working on......limited brain capacity I guess. As children we were taught never to leave the table without finishing our plate....not sure that holds true today but actually it's the beginning of good work habits. A studio filled with unfinished canvases doesn't bode well for any artist much less a creative individual....it has to be a very unsatisfying situation indeed. Even if you are a daily painter and your time is your own it can still be a challenge keeping the Barbarians from the door. My rule is simple, no chores until after 2:00 pm and only conduct business between paintings. On the last day of a painting I stretch and prep a new canvas or at least think about it.

It's 8:08 am and time to work. Yesterday I did sign it. Today I have a few things I need to tidy up, plus rotate the canvas on it's side and paint my top and bottom edges.

955-4 56x48 oil on linen gallery wrap (3-8-15)

Tuesday: Yesterday I finished canvas 955. My noodling took most of the morning and part of the afternoon. The changes are hard to see here, but it did made a huge difference and was well worth the time. Because I used a full gallery wrap, this painting has a gallery display choice attached to it. It can be hung without a frame, a floater or even a 4" or 5" gallery frame.

I also stretched another canvas 48x56; the same size only I'll use it as a horizontal, not my normal preference, but this size lends itself well to it. Generally, I like an elongated rectangle round twice the height......plus they seem to find homes faster than the norm. 

COMPLETED CANVAS

955 Koi and Lilies 56x48 oil on linen (3-9-15)

If you got to the end of this blog you deserve something extra. My next post will be shorter and about (10) things that worked well for me. Some were revealed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment