Sunday, March 15, 2015

"art cave existence"

Thursday: Yesterday, albeit a bit late, I started canvas 956, a 48x56 horizontal linen gallery wrap. I did lose a day to "other things". I always like starting a new canvas because I forget the outside spin and know the next 3 or 4 days are real and I get a reward at the end of it.......sounds like a treat for a kept pet. Well, there's a lot to be said for an "art cave existence"....preferably with force field to keep the barbarians from the gate. When working on a canvas, you're frequently in the moment and either move with it or you don't. I'm an opportunist when painting, once the rhythm starts it becomes an original movement. Some marks on the canvas are brilliant and unexpected, executed in a single stroke, and it shows in a painting. Moves that are clean, confident, not muddy or blurred marks a good session in my book. 

8:15 and time to work. Yesterday was a good session. Normally I only get the lily pads blocked out. This time the lily flower and a bud also entered (detail). This particular series of Koi and Lilies was also learning how to paint my structured pond lilies. I normally allow a full day for this alone and expect to do a 2nd pass when it dries. After (19) paintings in this series I finally developed a process that works well. And, in the last 2 or 3 paintings, my lilies are starting to fall in line too. Today I'll let it dry, and add a Koi or two along with my background. In this series I let the design dictate that and the mood, as it develops. 

956-1 48x46 oil on linen wrap (3-11-15)

DETAIL

Friday: My new collection is becoming rather important to me as an artist. It marks a very clear shift from constant research and development to being completely comfortable painting a single subject with a theme. While working at the easel, every part of the body is in synch. The speed your hands and brain can work together dictates how confident your painting will ultimately be. Hesitation does not seem part of the equation when this happens. I wouldn't call it automatic exactly, because decisions do have to be made constantly throughout the process. I think the difference is, they are choices, decisions between a group of known design elements.....I would also include paint colours in this selection process. I suspect this is commonly called "painting in the moment". I actually thought that at the beginning of the series. Now, I know it's not, I'm just simply comfortable at what I'm doing. It's not problem solving as in research and development but knowing what to do next and doing it!

7:55 it's time to work. As expected, my work yesterday was still tacky, so I followed my plan. This is what I got in high gear after about 8 hours.

956-2 48x56 oil on linen gallery wrap (3-12-15)

It's incredible how fast the background unifies all my elements into one cohesive movement. I spent the most time on my Koi which are well advanced for one session and won't require much more attention......first they have to dry. Today my hands will be full bringing up the detailing of each lily pad to match the level of my lily and Koi.  

Saturday: Today is going to be a grim, dark, rainy day at the easel. I'll have to depend more on my studio LED lighting for my sunshine than my overhead skylights. I got used to bright light painting plein air so I like my palette in the sun. In the studio I use between (8) and (10) large lamps, mostly 5000 (closest to daylight) and a few 3000 to 4000 (warm). I'm not sure I need the warm tho. The big lamps are powerful, energy efficient and generate little to no heat. Using direct sun or LED my colour range is infinitely expanded.... certainly superior to any studio light I have ever used.

8:06 time to work again. I like where this painting is going. Yesterday was long and sunny... made more constant with my LED's. I stayed on plan and did the second pass detail work on my lily pads. My second pass also allows me to adjust my colour values laid down over a white canvas. My completed background made it easier colour balancing my design elements. It's really about simple  staging in creating session breaks on a large canvas. Each of these design elements could be spread out if time was limited. The only danger is losing focus......

956-3 Oil on linen gallery wrap (3-13-15)

DETAIL
Today, I'll start with my lily; it's an important element to my design so I want my best efforts on it. I have a small bit to do on my lily pads that I didn't get to yesterday and some noodling on the Koi. This is the fun part.... almost at the finish line, not drained from over thinking, still in the mood, so it will get signed today..........LAST DAY:=)

Sunday: Yesterday went well, canvas 956 was completed and signed off. I had some extra time so I stretched a 48x44 linen wrap canvas.....just thinking ahead.

My energy levels in this series seem to increase with each painting. They don't seem to drain me as some did in the past when I was rotating my subjects....perhaps because I stopped short when one pleased me, not expecting to top it!  Regardless, I expect this series still has a lot of life left in it.

COMPLETED PAINTING
956 Koi and Lilies 48x56 oil on linen gallery wrap (3-14-15)

I'm getting an annoying top glare in all my photos from my skylights......a testy issue with these dark background paintings.

7:51 Time to work or not. I still have to paint the bottom edge on 956. However, my art cave stinks and needs airing out.... it's been off limits and the doors have been locked. A bath and clean clothes wouldn't hurt either..:=)




No comments:

Post a Comment