Sunday, May 17, 2015

I have starting point - AIR & REFLECTED LIGHT

Monday: Finally some 20x20 warm-ups got the engine going. Basically by revisiting a few 2011 paintings about air, fog and indirect light..... Perhaps mood and effect will be the real object of the collection. Hard to say at this point. The smallest will be 48x44 up to 66x60 - if the occasion arises it could go larger. So, the game's on!

Wednesday: Yesterday morning by the end of the day I had a gloomy, rainy day on the river, silent and damp, rather lonely painting. Not at all what I was after when I started. Then, I didn't have a solid plan either, it was more important to get the process going. So if nothing else, mood was well established!

 962-1 48x44 oil on linen wrap (5-12-15)

The surface light reflection will be the key to any success here. It has to be liquid, intense light that glows vertically. This limited palette or lack of colour is clearly hanging around.

9:24am - Time to turn on the lights!

962-2 48x44 oil on linen wrap (5-13-15)

Thursday: It's the kind of day if you're on the river you want to go home, sit in front of a fire or watch a movie. The indirect light source here causes the landscape to be keyed down to a very early morning gray day effect. I do like that it has an interesting surface glow developing. But, where to stop this thing and how to handle the upper part of the left side trees is on the agenda today. Yesterday I worked on the lower section exclusively so my top had an extra day to dry.

962-3 48x44 oil on linen wrap (5-13-15)

I signed off after working on the trees most of the day... even removed some miss steps before calling it quits. I'm not sure this is what I had in mind doing, but time will tell. The painting at 15 feet is very finished looking but the details below tell another story of loose abstraction.



Friday: After sleeping on it, I could bulk up the tree foliage a bit by following the light down on the foliage with some strong highlights. I took some of this out towards the end yesterday because it was confusing the eye as an additional focal point which I didn't need.

 962-4 Spring Storm 48x44 oil on linen wrap (5-15-15)

Saturday: Will I ever learn? I ended up noodling with this thing for hours yesterday and then later last night removing the same thing I removed the previous day. I don't have the patience for twiggy trees! The left-side still bugs me, but, I'm moving on before I do something nasty to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment