Saturday, June 27, 2015

Moving targets!

Got a few of those circling the old art cave. It seems every move since I started this dividend thing has caused a ripple of other ideas to extend the concept. All related, all worthy, but before you know it you're racing down another path besides painting. Refreshing as it is, my painting is suffering for it. I don't think there is a solution to it other than continue on and make it happen! Usually you get stopping points after that. So all my time is devoted to doing just that.

Setting up my gallery/showroom with giclee's set it in motion faster than it should have. However, doing it and some simple marketing material I needed, quickly exposed loose ends and concept gaps. I ordered a nice 3-fold brochure to use as a concept piece. Have not received it yet and it's already out of step. Doing it was incredibly useful tho. It caused me to curate, make choices on what to use or not!

I realized how Fine Art America plays in this game - FAA is a great platform for prints of paintings collecting dust, sadly forgotten, but still shine when light hits them. We leave a trail of work as we move through different phases......at least I do. Generally, my paintings start selling in the second year. By that time I'm somewhere else. Unless there is some compelling aspect to a painting or its in a gallery, I forget it! I think this is a second chance for those paintings to shine.


The Private Collection Giclee is my baby because its about the cream, the quality, the presentation of originals or Giclee's capable of handling any BEST WALL. One of my main speaking points here and elsewhere is "Paint large and for the best walls". Of course few get the point or the reason to do it in the first place, so better for me because I do:=) Also, nice that there is a slot for anyone who wants to be an artist!

For me it took a lot of paintings to learn how. I started small and mastered each size until I could paint larger than standards 6x6 thru 30x40s. It took 3 years, everyday, before I had anything worthwhile and I'm still working on it.

I would have to paint (24) $500 paintings and a gallery would have to sell (24) to make what selling this one painting below did. It was one effort, one sale and took way less wall space.....I rest my case!

JUST SOLD!

806 Koi & Lily 48x44 oil on linen (3-22-13)


No question its possible to paint (24) 8x10s in the same time but I would still have them and so would the gallery.....they don't really sell any better and take up a lot of wall space trying! No question they have value and certain appeal, but in the end it's just clutter! Generally, people who can afford original art are looking for a special work to hold a special wall, not a montage where the eye has no place to rest.

BTW, I believe that to be the primary goal with the majority of the people who walk into any gallery....excluding artist and perhaps collectors, another moving target!  


No comments:

Post a Comment