Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Another version

Wednesday: I'm happy with my progress towards long term dividends. It took some time away from painting but it was worth it.

I have a week to paint before my loaned out gallery is back in my control. We're going to paint and resign the gallery - designer hat will come out to make it ready for my first exhibit of giclee's and original works. Perhaps another brick to my long term goal.

Today is a paint day. I'm going to revisit a large painting from last year and make another version. It's a local subject, the Chullily Red Reeds at VMFA Koi pond. I think it will fit well with my new collection. The 1st version was 72x96 horizontal. The new one will be a 60x48 vertical composition basically using the same reference.



8:02am time to paint!
DAYS END
 964-1 60x48 (5-27-15)

Thursday: I didn't get far yesterday other than some canvas ground rules set in place.

8:43am that time!
 DAYS END 
964-2

Friday: This canvas is moving along fast, my head was busy somewhere else but I was into the painting too...sorta on autopilot if you will. I guess using both sides of the brain for a change. When it happens, I work much faster, anyway, the painting's course is set. If I can get that pesky grass clump to work it'll stay - right now a bit iffy.

9:24am Time to do battle with that clump of weeds!

END OF DAY
964-3

Saturday: My attraction to this subject is obvious, I enjoy forcing colour in oil, and vermillion is at the top of my list. I love when sunlight makes colour go beyond capture, but that doesn't stop me from trying. People often ask me "Why Koi"? Because the sun light does the same thing to them as Chullily's red glass reeds do here......transparent and saturated beyond capture, perhaps

8:24 Time to paint

DAYS END
964-4

Sunday: Red reeds and weeds! I'm sure there's another day or two still ahead of me. Sometimes developing a subtle light pattern and feel of air washing down is a slow process. The illusion of depth is also showing up because at the same time I'm pushing and pulling my design elements hoping for that magical 3D effect. All this is nothing more than shadows and light using simple abstract marks on the canvas. My only rule there is it has to feel right! The process can get fussy looking up close and personal, but step back 15 or 20 feet and look at the bigger picture.....not so fussy then. Nice thing about the "step back", things that don't "feel right" SHOW UP!

The real mood and light path always reveals itself later in diminishing light when it gives up clues for the next session.

8:02am 

DAYS END
 964-5

Perfect mates

Monday:  Today will also be sign off day!

DAYS END - FINISHED!
(natural morning light progression)

 
7:00am
 8:30am
 9:30am
 964 Red Reeds and Blue Air 60x48 oil on linen wrap (6-1-15)

Tuesday: Yesterday saw more than a few interruptions, but the old guy prevailed against the barbarians and crossed the finish line! Gotta get a better lock on those gates!!

My week is used up. My Crossroads Gallery is in play again so time to step aside and work on my long-term benefits project. I hope the gallery painting is done. If it is painted, it's ready for signage......no clear idea what that will be either, other than it needs to tell a story besides Giclee's and paintings on the walls.  

This painting marks the 5th in my new collection which is definitely turning out about MOOD & GREY DAY LIGHT.


No comments:

Post a Comment