Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Grey days

Friday: Yesterday, I was in the mood to paint more than anything else. My gallery at Crossroads is ready for something to decorate the walls. Even there, the walls are painted a grey day colour from RH called PUMICE. It was a choice with the expectation it would make colour pop! I'm pleased with it because it's much lighter than before. You know how colour can be very saturated on a rainy day where greens are greener than in full sun? That's what I'm hoping for.

We are still in the proof stage before any Giclee's will be ready. I can't leave it bare, so over the next few days I have to figure it out. In the meantime I'm going to paint with that space in mind.....grey days.

 Maymont - Blue Iris

This was the basis for another large work called BLUE IRIS. I was painting plein air that day - not too successfully either. I spent more time with my camera because the sun was breaking through lighting this little side pond up. The reflections would not be ignored that day. My intention was to complete this little 30x30 canvas below in one session...not to be. I really needed it to setup before going any further.



  965-1


The brushwork is a very abstract movement and yet from 20 feet has a very realistic feel of space. I think this comes about because I'm working in depth layers..... Starting in the back, completing each layer as I move forward. Some work is lost but the end result exceeds the loss with sharper focus details which I'll do in my next step today. The foreground iris is the star and needs special attention to shine.

Today is about bringing it all home with detailed light and still maintain the abstract realism qualities.

Saturday: The painting was still wet, so working on it had pluses and minuses. Missteps are harder to fix or remove than it is with a dry surface. The painting looks finished and I did sign it, although there will be some noodling today. My iris reflections need to be updated to yesterdays work.


965-2

I only had the morning to paint, my afternoon was dedicated to gathering up work for my bare gallery walls.

COMPLETED PAINTING
965  Blue Iris and Morning Mist 30x30 oil on linen wrap (6-6-15)

Monday: The old guy learned something in Photoshop yesterday. How to get a very high resolution digital file using my existing camera. This image is 48 mg and comprised of (9) closeups using a stationary tripod, my Hughes easel with controlled horizontal and vertical movement. Photo merge tool uses sensitive content aware technology to make seamless transitions, AND IT WORKS!  I believe its similar to the panorama tool on many I-phones.

There is some shaping at the end like squaring things up - basic stuff.

I did another one where I merged (18) photos (original painting was 60x48) which was a bit trying, but I got it done with a usable 98mg jpg print file. My camera is 24mg, along with natural daylight from overhead skylights it captures the depth, colour and essence of the original to a "T". The texture of the brushwork is especially clean and crisp.

Much more to learn, but this is doable for any artist with a digital camera and Photoshop CS.5. However, the real trick is being able to move the painting and not the camera because you have to keep the distance and focus constant. The upside of moving the painting, the light stays constant in each shot.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment