Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Familiar faces

Occasionally, like now, I try my hand at portraiture, mostly keeping "my hand in" so to speak. Some time back I started a series entitled "People you know".....I'm not a commission painter so I only have a few in this series under my belt and a long way to travel yet. The "occasional" portrait or "selfie" is not enough to get comfortable with or be remotely accomplished as I would like to be. I also know the quality of painting I want and know I'm not ready.

Lately another idea is bouncing around more and more and one, at the moment, I like a bit better. If you go to enough local art openings you soon realize the crowd pretty much remains the same. Faces you know by name or are familiar with but mostly you have no idea who they are. They mingle, perhaps stop to chat with a friend or two.....then disappear into the crowd. Over time I've collected a nice body of candid shots of known and familiar faces. I've been tempted more than once to do quick candid studies principally as a learning tool... something more interesting beyond a straight mug shot.
 
I don't ever expect these to sell, just think it would be fun hanging my little orphaned candids amongst other paintings and see if they are found at the next opening.

A CANDID SAMPLING
Candid One 12x12 oil on linen (12/2/15 canvas 1003)
Candid Two 12x12 oil on linen (12/3/15 canvas 1005)
 Candid Three 7x5 oil on linen (12-3-15 canvas 1006)
Candid Four 12x12 oil on linen (12-4-15 canvas 1007)

No comments:

Post a Comment