Sunday, December 27, 2015

Sunday morning hardcopy - Singular Focus Two

Canvas 1012 was meant to replace a recent vacancy at the gallery however it morphed into my next series. At least thats my intention.

The energy to paint in a series feeds off the last painting to the next. One might call it "Binge painting". I suppose it works the same way for a "Binge drinker" only its painting until you drop! Paint-alcoholic or art-alcoholic........not sure how I got here - anyway I like doing it.

I know from experience binge painting is a very effective tool if used with uninterrupted focus. My last collection, "Singular Focus One" covered a 3 month period earlier this year. My original intent unexpectedly evolved into refined 3D effects using light and shadow. The process produced enough energy for 21 paintings before the lights went out!  

This time I want to explore and perhaps "exploit" the use of gold-leaf and oil on canvas. Currently there are 4 or 5 previous works that represent the "development phase" and will become part of the collection. Two are already in print and available as enhanced limited editions through "The Private Collection Giclee" 

 CANVAS 1012
56x48 linen gallery wrap

UNTITLED  56x48 oil on linen (12-24-15 canvas 1012)

The step photos, if viewed in sideshow, formulate an interesting way to review the process of a painting like this. I always laugh at what I take out and put back in the next day.....very easy to do on a painting this size. Steps that perhaps could have been avoided. Some of this happens following light and shadow drifting across the canvas surface....in truth made up as I go. It has to feel right otherwise the whole effect is unconvincing. A few brush strokes can change any of that in a heart beat......up close it might be clear -  at 30 feet is another matter. So, 30 feet puts it in proper perspective and a sideshow loop helps improve the process along with reminders of lost passages........ Helpful tools leading into the next canvas. 


Sometimes right after a windstorm, if I'm lucky to catch it, the Koi pond can be littered with tree debris like here. The debris can be useful fill connecting up areas, adding a bit of balance including surface interest and it can also take over as gold leaf can!


As my painting progressed it clearly developed into a very complex composition......not less is more as I hoped. Neither is the gold very discreet! When is enough, enough? Not sure, because it really is a balancing act from start to finish. It also occurred to me this would be a wonderful expanded composition by simply adding a right and left side panel. Not something I have to act on now, but something to think about as the series unfolds.

Refining gaudy.......laughing out loud when I say this too!



No comments:

Post a Comment