Friday, April 15, 2016

Sunday "In the Studio" at Crossroads - Concept study 1034

Sunday I didn't want to break my train-of-thought with something unrelated to my studio work, so I did something I normally don't do at any stage. I did a quick (3) hour concept study of my intended subject (water ponies). A bit of related practice for me plus I thought a bunch of ponies might be a valuable way to passively show the concept of painting shapes using more expressive brush work (wet-in-wet).

The most important part was showing how easy it was to adjust the shapes and create beautiful edges by back cutting into the overall shape with  the background colour until it felt right to the eye. Not necessarily anally correct at every step.

My biggest priority, I want it to look right at 30 feet and touchable up close and personal - correct shapes and values win if it does.

(3) HOUR COMPOSITION STUDY 1034 (top)
 LAST WEEKS KOI (bottom)

 Composition study 24x30 oil on linen  (4-10-16 canvas 1034)

1034 BACK IN THE STUDIO

STUDIO SHOT - NATURAL LIGHT
 Composition study 24x30 oil on linen  (4-10-16 canvas 1034)

Interesting comparison to this little 11x14 Plein air colour chip (below) from the same day as my reference. It even has the horizon hot spot to the left plus remarkably close in colour.

PLEIN AIR COLOUR CHIP
 A Day at the Beach 11x14 oil on linen (7-13-13 canvas 843)

STUDY TO FINISHED PAINTING

I'm always asked this question "When do you  know its finished?" My qu to when a painting is finished..... "When I don't wake up with it the next day!" Simple as that!

I went to sleep thinking about canvas 1034 and woke doing the same....so it wasn't over yet.

The study worked well for my purposes Sunday, but I don't really have any use for it. So with some scraping and more work it could turn into a decent painting worthy of a frame. 

SECOND SESSION
(sky to sand)
(1034-2 24x30 4-11-16)

THIRD SESSION
(Horizon down)
(1034-3 24x30 4-12-16)


FOURTH SESSION - COMPLETED CANVAS

Natures Own 24x30 oil on linen (4-14-16 canvas 1034)


This coming Sunday 12:00 to 3:00 plus will include a show and tell.... explaining the best wall concept while perhaps painting that dramatic foreground wave I still need to work out for my larger studio painting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment