Thursday, April 21, 2016

"What medium do you use?"

Or do I make you nervous talking or watching while you work?, are questions I often get painting plein air. You become familiar with the curiosity people have watching a painter paint. I suppose it can disrupt focus but generally the questions during my Sunday "In the studio" are expected and a result from what I'm doing, often by other painters. The most common one is "what medium do you use?" 

I started with Copal Medium because I found the old Masters, like Rembrandt used it long ago as a medium and drier. I read it in a library book as a kid - "Technique of the Masters" I believe was the title. When I returned to painting in oil in 2009, copal was one of the first things I purchased for my tool box. Still have it, however didn't like how it worked anymore. I understood the formula changed - most likely because of EPA concerns. I complained to the art store clerk and he  turned me on to Neo Megilp by Gamblin......not sure I knew about buying art materials online yet. Looking back, online sales killed that particular retail art store and I'm sure many others like it. If you're serious you need to buy your supplies at wholesale or as close as you can get to it. It won't take long before you understand being an artist is an expensive profession to be competitive in.

 NEO MEGILP

A few shakes will get it flowing. But this stuff is magic to paint - learn how to use it - mess with it but don't use it as a top coat, it will stay sticky without pigment......it only takes a bit to make it work wet over wet. One stroke is all you get over an equally wet surface. But magically, it will sit on top and not directly merge with the lower layer because pigment is suspended within the medium. It intensifies colour and often depending how you apply it with pigment, cause wonderful rainbow colour effects. 

The biggest reason besides some special effects is it makes paint flow better. I also never use mineral spirits as a medium. It dilutes colour as it dries - varnish may improve it later but won't return it as I left it, wet.



Aside from my Sunday studio, I'll be in decorating mode for the next few weeks - the kitchen was annoying me to no end. Well in truth, my surroundings are really piss poor visually these days.  My own fault because my surroundings don't have my full attention like painting pictures does. In the past I always had my own crew to get home work done.....now I don't! The only thing I really miss about my past life. Another question answered and asked by former clients! Other than that I'm a happy camper:=)

No comments:

Post a Comment