Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Canvas 1035 - "In The Studio at Crossroads" April 17th

This one will have a bit of action going for it. My intent here is a one session painting - no homework allowed:=) So within my 3-hour time frame I want fast expressive movement at every level to suggest movement and transparency in the most convincing way possible. A bit challenging but more fun on a larger 30x30 linen canvas.

 REFERENCE - BEACH WAVE
Virginia beach - hight noon

WHY I DON'T TONE MY CANVAS

I always start  with a white canvas because I need light to bounce through my paint off a white surface. Several times during the process I'll wipe off paint with a rag dipped in odorless mineral spirits to recapture that original white surface. It's also an opportunity to do a quick reshaping. It can be left exposed or not. I generally don't. I'll use more Neo Megilp with a little pigment so it stays transparent, yet has some texture.

The white canvas for me produced cleaner colours and a brighter end result than when I toned it. I quickly learned this from second sessions - it was very difficult to recapture the same colour and transparency I easily did in the first.

Thanks to Susan Lang for a few session photos:=)

 At 30 feet on the easel it feels right. 

The easel is a counter balanced with fingertip side-to-side and vertical control by Paint Master. This one was purchased online through Jerry's. It's sturdy and will take a fairly large canvas up to 78" high. However it requires a ceiling higher than 8 foot to maximize it's potential.

COMPLETED CANVAS
Swimming In Paint 30x30 oil on linen (4-17-16 canvas 1035)

DETAIL

Swimming In Paint was about transparency, movement and being fearless in the face of a blank canvas.......after all its just paint and canvas....nothing more! The power is what we do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment