Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Canvas 1033

 STUDIO CONCEPT

Typically I like to use bold contrast colours against one another.  However one of my most favorite atmospheric effects is very subtle in nature, like the references below...... A painting challenge because there is nothing to contrast against. Every once in awhile I get the bug and make a run at this one particular colouring - always with limited success. Its a very mono toned morning sky with gorgeous glow and water sparkle. I needed a challenge so I decided to tackle it again. Plus I've had this painting in mind for awhile now using wild beach horses with this dynamic kind of atmospheric setting. In my mind, the painting will be more about the setting and atmosphere than it will be the horses. I only need them to establish scale....

First, I need to break the colour code......in other words, I need to get comfortable painting in these subtle shades and get that glow too.  So I need to figure it out!

EXAMPLES

MY  REFERENCE GUIDE for 1033
Plein air day at Virginia Beach around 7:00am

The morning beach sun is doing that thing it often does through the distant cloud bank when it peeks through and hits the water causing hot spots and sparkle. In this case, throwing in some distant showers that eventually cleared the beaches for a few hours.

My first task will be developing some colour chips. I know from past experience this might take some time and several paintings. I keep a chronological record of my paintings. Sometimes its fun looking at the timeline because it can indicate how long an idea could have been bouncing around.

CANVAS 1033 - 30x30 linen





Day two - Distance shot shows the right horizon is riding low. Nice to keep a level close at hand when doing these things.

COMPLETED CANVAS
Morning Sparkle 30x30 oil on linen (4-9-16 canvas 1033)

In a frame this will shine well enough. Aside from the expressive brushwork, from a distance the painting looks very much like the original reference below - oddly including the colouring.

1033 and 1032 side by side on drying shelf

Virginia Beach around 7:00am

Coincidentally I found this little 11x14 Plein air colour chip from the same day and time stowed away (totally forgot).  It even has the horizon hot spot to the left.

PLEIN AIR COLOUR CHIP
 A Day at the Beach 11x14 oil on linen (7-13-13 canvas 843)

I'll continue working on the concept at my Sunday studio playtime at Crossroads noon to 3:00 +
If you get a chance drop by and say hello:=)

No comments:

Post a Comment