Wednesday, April 12, 2023

My norm lost my attention

Diving into abstraction is turning out to be a very fun project. Over the years I would dip my toe in with a binge resulting in half a dozen attempts at abstraction. Always ended up as stylized representational work, nothing to move forward as a serious artistic move. In the past it was more a diversion from my norm. This time was different. The norm lost my attention.

Gilded Lily 60x48 Mixed media on canvas 1430 dated 12/21/22

Anyway, I Started 12/19/22 with Gilded Lily a 60x48 canvas. (above) It was really the start of a 2-month transition phase of 7 large 48x49 to 48x60 paintings I call brats. Brats had numerous repaints under most of the final paintings. My conclusion! I would have to change my thinking if I wanted to go forward. I did learn something from each painting. Tools changed, media and just about everything else except workmanship. Just had to find new ways of doing things. 

The Springboard Series currently has 18 paintings.... a few brats but the majority worked. The first group is on the wall in the SIP Gallery at CAC until the 17th. This Sunday or Monday many will be changed out for new paintings. Sort of a culling process. I have a slideshow (below) of the 18 paintings in sequential order. Each painting contributes to the next idea. Providing no breaks or long period of not working at the easel. The slideshow works well as a editing tool. We know 4 of the 11 paintings that will be removed. Theoretically I have 7 new works available as replacements. Looking forward to the change-out 

 VIDEO OF THE DAY

 

Enjoy your day Swimming-in-paint!

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment