Saturday, October 26, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - 30x36 barrage

Last post I left off with canvas #859 a 30x36 river landscape. I was happy with the results using a 24x24 painting study as my reference. It was part of a barrage of (7) I did last year. The 24x24 wasn't so much a study as an idea quickly executed and viable on it's own. It had a feel I wanted to capture again.

Over the last 4 1/2 yeas I did a lot of same size quick succession paintings. To keep it fresh I rotate through my painting subjects, like my 30x36s now. It's my method of exploration, improving my paint quality and developing paintable subjects. Over time, it developed into a very organized assault process carried forward into my larger paintings. Recently I did a 40x44 barrage and it worked remarkably well. The larger formats I paint now also opened a fascinating door using my past smaller paintings as reference material. I like the idea of using them as stepping stones to another generation of paintings with more creative information to work with.
 
Originally I planned on using another 24x24 from the same barrage as my reference for my next 30x36 canvas #860, but as it sometimes happens, I go a different route.

CANVAS #860

#860 Koi and lilies 30x36 oil on linen (10-18-13)

My favorite detail 

CANVAS #861

Reference #438 James from Belle Isle 20x20 oil on linen (2-13-11)

Progress

Detail

Side by side

Frame test and signed

#861 River Sun 30x36 oil on linen (10-21-13)

PAINTINGS FOR WORTHY CAUSES

670 Vermillion Koi 36x36 oil on linen (7-9-12)
ChildSavers - Capitol One Collection

#815 Maymont Interlude 72x48 Oil on linen (4-19-13)

Donated to the Maymont foundation - Vintage Maymont 2013 fund raiser as the paddle painting it raised over $25,000. Maymont Interlude will now reside permanently in Maymont's new corporate headquarters building opening soon.

This is the season for art and art related fundraisers - it does the heart good to see so many artists and patrons step up to the plate and do their part supporting these wonderful causes and their many dedicated volunteers. I'm a firm believer in "giving back"........Kudos to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment