Friday, October 18, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - refining my canvas sizes

I'm in the process of refining my painting sizes. I like squares, almost squares and elongated rectangle shapes. Until recently I was never concerned about sizes, other than painting large. People, and galleries too, like things priced by size; it's how our planet works. It doesn't however, do a thing for quality standards. No matter, size can be established. Quality is a continuing endeavor we spend our lives refining. 

Over the last 4 1/2 years I have a lot of sizes; many very close to one another. Now I want a very clear size definition between my small, medium and large paintings. I also sometimes paint enormous paintings. Those are not included, as they have a life of their own. 

There's good reason for doing it too. Aside from storage, organization and stocked supplies.....price points. Yep! Price points! Size does make a difference when it comes to price. People need size to differentiate value so it will make sense to them. I expect this might be at all levels of art. So until quality is the only judging gauge and a buyer knows the difference, size rules. In any event, I see it in my situation with my galleries comments and my sales.

With that in mind, I omitted many of my smaller sizes, like 8x10's, 11x14's and 16x16's stopping at 20x20; a good size for me and works when you add a 4" gallery frame; a 28x28 with good wall presence and a bit unusual when shown in a sea of small rectangle landscapes. I think a square and a circle are very formal elegant shapes in design and architecture. Both shapes stand out in a lovely frame.

I also dropped 24x24's and 24x30's in favor of my 30x30 square. But I would need a landscape companion size so I chose 30x36 because I stock a 36" stretcher bar....my constant being 30". It's a nice shape and once in a 4" to  5" gallery frame it has presence at 38x44. And in my mind, better, against the ever popular 24x30 which won't always hold a wall.  It is often passed over because it's not quite big enough. 

My New Small Line-up

Left 30x30, Center 30x36 and Right 20x20

Over the next few weeks I want to work my new 30x36 size, get comfortable if you will.

I'll have to order some 30x36 frames; all custom because not a lot of ready made frames are stocked in this size by my supplier. If it works out I can order custom closed corner frames....half a dozen gets me into the game.

Canvas #858 30x36

An interesting phenomenon happens sometimes when I do a larger canvas. I can get a dark striped shadow line from top to bottom on my right or left side. I can see it at a distance and in the photo here, but not so much close up while painting. Uneven lighting? I don't think so. My camera is not picking up certain colours and automatically blends them and prints darker. Much like stepping back will diminish detail.
 
#858 Koi and Lily 30x36 oil on linen (10-10-13)

As you can see in this case it's about 4" wide. Sometimes, being a bit lazy, my first solution after I noticed it in the photos was to crop the painting to a 30x30 and call it a day.

Cropped version 

 Cropped #858 Koi and Lily 30x32

Reasonable lazy solution, however 30x30 didn't work but 30x32 did.....not one of painting my sizes. I would have to buy a box of odd size bars.....more clutter....get lazy butt back to the easel and fix it!

 #858 Koi and Lily 30x36 oil on linen (10-11-13)


#858 Koi and Lily 30x36 oil on linen with 4 1/2" Gallery frame

Canvas #859 30x36

I'm going to make another more finished version of #662, a 24x24 oil on linen of the James from Belle Isle. This painting had something I wanted to see if I could do again, but in a more refined manner than my original Alla prima study.

 My reference/work station

 Side-by-side 24x24 original study with 30x36 completed version

 #859 James at Sunset 30x36 oil on linen

 #859 James at Sunset 30x36 oil on linen in 4 1/2" gallery frame


Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment