Monday, May 26, 2014

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - 898

I should say a month; this month was a bust with regards to the painting front. My big canvas backfired on me and I got stuck in the "now what mud"....as always when in doubt paint a few lilies!

Last summer we had a deck pond installed and stocked with goldfish and a couple lilies....not thinking any of it would survive the winter. Well, the fish and lilies did survive! The lilies are producing a few buds and the fish are growing...even added a few. I never thought I would be painting my own lilies, but here I am doing just that!...As small as our little pond is, I'm getting some good usable material. Our goldie's are much too small to use as painting subjects, but fun to watch their antics..lots of photos there too. The pond is turning out to be an excellent study of light and moment on mirrored water surfaces and how depth changes and responds to the sun. Is this worth a little pleinair painting?.....perhaps.


I think it's mating season - in real life it looks aggressive!
 Base reference
Cropped detail;
A featured lily
PROGRESS 48X44
A few days work - 898 48x44 oil on linen
Day 3
Today, my last on this painting, will be working the entire canvas. Starting at the top working down I'll follow the light, adjusting values as I go.
FINAL 
898 Red Koi & Lilies 48x44 oil on linen (5-26-14)
DETAILS


Nice to be back!

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment