Friday, May 2, 2014

Sizing Up

While doing my little commission, I stretched up a 72x96 canvas, thinking of it as a solo exhibit center piece. Yesterday I placed it on my easels 17 foot wall...about the wall size required for a painting this large. I thought staring at it for awhile something brilliant would surface and perhaps it will.


One of the problems I found sizing up as a representational painter was or is subject......historically, figures do it well as many artists proved. I can readily put figures in waves and of course I already know my Koi work large. It works well for the same reasons Monet belted size out of the park with his water lilies....acceptable creative control, a close kin to abstraction. I just finished a painting called Migration on (3) panels, sizing up my wild ponies. Many will perhaps see it more as a mural, at least I did......not my intent, but certainly a sizing up pitfall.

Figures are easier for me when it comes to painting action, as in sports. I seem to prefer that to static figures. When I started the year out with nudes, it was with the intent of building up to a large figurative painting using a ballet theme in private moments. I did make some pencil drawings with that in mind during the Rubens Experiment. The Rubens Experiment itself was also a lead into this same idea. Since I am an interior renderer, it could be fun playing with it in a another more dramatic level than if I were simply creating an environment for a client, as in the past.

Looking back now, I actually did a lot of preparatory work leading to this 72x96 canvas. Looks like I'm ready to do it! First, I'll review my concepts history....many times my first move is the right move.....back to those drawings!

SUCCESSIVE CONCEPT DRAWINGS

Drawing 1

Drawing 2
Drawing 3

Like I said, the first move is typically the right one!

At the beginning of this post, I had absolutely no idea what would go on this canvas. Gives credence that talking to yourself has some benefits.... but more importantly, writing some of it down somewhere.....:=)

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment