Friday, May 30, 2014

Abstraction and size

After finishing my last painting I was determined to apply greater abstraction to my next painting. Within an hour I jumped into my failed 72x96 canvas - still wanting it to be about light and colour....even a possibility of atmosphere is not out of the realm! But, most important, counter to my last painting!

I spent more time studying this canvas than painting it, looking for clues what to do next......it always shows up sooner or later...

DAY 1
899-1 Progress 72x96 oil on linen (5-26-14)

After 3 or 4 hours I knew this would be like the last Koi and Lily painting! Gurrrrr!

DAY 2
899-2a Progress 72x96 oil on linen (5-27-14)

Next morning, back with a big brush and mineral spirits, I washed and blended the entire canvas, leaving some heavy knife texture in place. I only added colour blocks to pull bits of colour back out.  I have light reflections on a water surface, a clear indication my core design element is showing up. I'm also getting some unwanted horizontal lines and colour passages that need breaking up. Tonally blended it looks better than shown here but still on the fussy side, looking a bit patchy!

899-2b Progress 72x96 oil on linen (5-27-14)

Couldn't leave it alone, I went back and increased the light reflecting on the waters surface....adding some suggestions of lily pads and.....stopped!!.....falling backwards here!!

More palette knife scraping and mineral spirits washes in the morning.......
DAY 3
 889 Mystic Light One 72x96 oil on linen (5-28-14)
A distant shot at a much lower resolution - without glare
 
This thing reads better in person - in fact, rather interesting closeup. It has all the components, I was originally after; light, colour and atmosphere with depth. Extra bonus, it reads well in diminished light. No question, counter to my last painting. I did waver by adding a faint Koi center bottom - just hopeless! I thought it was a good idea but perhaps too anemic here. Although not a lost cause because it gave me a clue on how.....good progress:=) 

I see something to explore further on a fresh canvas. Next one is #900.....love round numbers.

Later..............


No comments:

Post a Comment